Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pop000 Posts: 352, Reputation: 6

Nov 22, 2010, 05:16 AM
    Solubility and Surface area
    1) why Ethanol(CH3CH2OH) soluble in water and pentanol (C5H11OH) are not soluble in water?
    I know both of them have an Hydrogen bond but I don't sure about the Polarity.

2) how can I know the Surface area of Molecules In general ?
    Like if I have tow Molecules :C2H5OH-CH3OH who has more big Surface area I guess is C2H5OH but I not sure why.

Thanks.

DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Nov 22, 2010, 06:25 AM
    The non-polar portion of a pentane molecule is larger than that of an ethanol molecule. That essentially squeezes it out of the water.
    To picture the surface area of a molecule, just think of the atoms as spheres in a line (like pearls on a bracelet or necklace). The bigger, the longer the chain, the greater the surface area.

Nov 22, 2010, 07:59 AM
    Hi I Understand your 2) answer. But about the 1) answer pentanol has no Polarity so he not soluble in water?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2010, 08:39 AM

groups and groups are hydrophobic, that is they are not soluble in water.

In ethanol, this group is quite small and hence, the hydrogen bonding 'overcomes' the hydrophobic group's insolubility in water.

While in pentanol, the hydrophobic part is larger and one hydrogen boncing alone is not enough to make it soluble in water.
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Nov 22, 2010, 10:31 AM
    Like Unknown008 says, the hydrophilicity (causes solubility in water) and the hydrophobicity (causes insolubility) are fighting each other. For short alkyl chains -- 1, 2, 3 or 4 carbons the polar OH group wins, 5 carbons or more and the carbon chain wins. Pentanol has as much polarity as does ethanol (one OH group) but there is much more non-polarity. So pentanol is still somewhat soluble in water; more so than is hexanol, and solubility drops off still further from there. If a solute is soluble to 5% we consider it soluble, less than that it's insoluble. This is arbitrary, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Nov 23, 2010, 07:03 AM
    Well I Understanding your answer and thanks so much to all of u.

U Explains more good then my Teacher :)
    JenBruin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2011, 03:44 PM
    Of course the longer hydrocarbon chain is hydrophobic, but wouldn't his molecule form micelles because of the polar (OH) head? If not, why? Also, are micelles considered "soluble" in water or do their colloidal properties put them in another category?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2011, 11:43 PM
    Oil is a micelle in water. I'll let you guess the answer for your query from there :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Area of a Surface [ 7 Answers ]

Attached is a picture of the shape I would like the formula for to calculate the area. Can someone help please?

Surface area of a cylinder [ 1 Answers ]

What is the surface area of a cylinder that is 65 feet in diameter and 40 feet tall?

Surface area [ 3 Answers ]

What is the surface area of a triangular prism? Length = 6 Width = 4 Height = 10

Surface Area of a icosahedron [ 2 Answers ]

Well its my first time using this and I hope I get the answer pretty quick I'm doing a project of this and I made it out of wood... and I need to find the S A of a icosahedron... and the side length of 1 of the triangles is 4 inches... I'm kind of lost on how to do this and help would be...

Geometry (surface area) [ 15 Answers ]

Hello! I am having difficulty answering this question. If someone can please tell me how to solve these geometry problems, I will be very grateful! Thank you in advance! =) Find the surface area of the following regular polyhedra to the nearest cm^2 (squared). a. Tetrahedron with edge length...

View more questions Search