Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lalerlang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 07:53 PM
    Is it inappropriate to invite your friends to holiday family functions?
    Am I out of line for being miffed that for the third year in a row, my sister includes her friends in our family gatherings? What started as a one time invitation to her friend to attend Thanksgiving with us because her husband had to be out of town, has now turned into "tradition" where this friend, her husband, and their 4 teenagers share every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner with us. When it's "my turn" to host, I feel awkward, these are not my friends, yet they somehow come as a package deal with my sister, and I must invite them also. They are not poor, lonely, or anything else I can figure, that makes me feel they "must" be included. My sister's family and this friends family spend a lot of time together, even doing vacations together; my parents are included in these events but we have never been invited, so we're not a part of their "circle". This year, I was informed that my sister and her friend have already planned everything out, and of course, I was invited, but "we're doing it at the "Smith's" this year. I politely said we were going to go ahead and do our own thing, and that they were more than welcome to join us for desert after their "thing" if they wanted to. I feel it should be the other way around; have Thanksgiving with your family, invite your friends over for pie later. Now, of course, I'm in trouble with my sister and parents for not wanting to celebrate as a family. I'm tired of feeling like the tag-a-long at my own family functions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2010, 08:44 PM

They may if they are having or hosting a party, do what ever they want, we often have lots of friends over for holidays.

But you are free to only have the people you want when you host it at your home. So when having at your home, tell sister that they are invited but not their friends, you are only inviting family. They can choose to come or not,

With more distant of family and more work issues, the large family dinners are less common than they used to be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to invite my friends for my brother marriage [ 3 Answers ]

How to invite my brothers marriage for my friends

What holiday should my family go on? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, My family and I are looking for a holiday to go on around the budget of $10,000. We are looking for skiing or culture experiences. We are a family of 4 with two adults and two kids aged 11 and 14, beginner skiiers. We are looking at Japan (cheap holiday), Interstate of Australia and mabye...

Stranger invite to a home, and took advantage of the family [ 1 Answers ]

I am searching for a movie I saw back in 1999 don't know if it was a new release at the time. But it was a movie starring a few black african americans. It was about this stranger got invited to a home of a couple and seduce the husband wife and beat the husband and locked him in the cellar

Would you be upset if your boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't invite you to functions? [ 5 Answers ]

This is the situation: My boyfriend would attend weekly church meetings. I would also attend weekly church meetings. However, we both went to different churches and therefore went to different meetings before we met. However, after we were in a relationship I wanted to go to the meetings sponsored...

View more questions Search