Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duce432 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Unsweating trap arm
    I have a 90 degree cast copper elbow as a stub out for a bathroom sink with a 1.50 inch trap arm soldered into the 90 degree elbow. I need to replace the trap arm so I heated up the elbow to unsweat the joint and instead of the trap arm coming loose from the heat the other side of the 90 degree elbow unsweated itself. Could someone tell me what I did wrong and what I should do next. I was trying to remove the trap arm so I could and a male 1.5 inch threaded adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom thank you for your response and let me try to redescribe the problem. I do have a cast copper 90 stubout coming out of the wall. After the 90 they sweated in a piece of copper pipe and then they soldered in the trap arm as you described. I unsweated the trap arm from the piece of copper pipe and tried to unsweat the piece of copper pipe from the 90 and that is when the other end of the 90 became unsoldered. What I'm trying to do is add a male 1.5 inch threaded adapter to the 90 so I can convert to PVC like you suggested.

Tom thank you for your response and let me try to redescribe the problem. What I have is a 90 cast copper and then they soldered in a piece of copper pipe to the 90 elbow then they soldered the chrome trap arm into the copper pipe as you have described. Iam replacing my bathroom sink so I would like to remove the chrome trap arm and add a 1.5 inch threaded adapter to the elbow so I can convert to pvc. I unsweated the chrome trap arm from the copper pipe OK. But when I tried to unsweat the copper pipe from the elbow the 90 elbow became unsoldered.

Tom I hope this is a better description.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by duce432
    I have a 90 degree cast copper elbow as a stub out for a bathroom sink with a 1.50 inch trap arm soldered into the 90 degree elbow. I need to replace the trap arm so I heated up the elbow to unsweat the joint and instead of the trap arm coming loose from the heat the other side of the 90 degree elbow unsweated itself. Could someone tell me what I did wrong and what I should do next. I was trying to remove the trap arm so I could and a male 1.5 inch threaded adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm a little confused by the description. Why would a lavatory stubout exit the wall with a 90? To add to my confusion a 1 1/2"chrome trap tail's designed to fit inside a 1 1/2" pice of copper pipe and not the oversized opening of a 1 1/2" 90. To cap it off I'm being asked, " Could someone tell me what I did wrong and what I should do next. I was trying to remove the trap arm so I could and a male 1.5 inch threaded adapter."
    For openers I think you put the torch heat on the wrong section and since it all came off you start from scratch from the stubout and run it again using new fittings. You are aware that you will have to remove the chrome from the part of the traptail that you wish to solder aren't you? Chrome will not take a solder joint. It will have to be filed or sanded down to the brass pipe underneath. What am I missing here? Regards, Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Duce 432,
    Our two posts flew off into cyberspace. I know you read my last post giving you instruction on converting to PVC. Was there anything else? My apologies for the goof. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

? Spots on arm [ 1 Answers ]

Ever since childhood I have had small spots on my upper arms, which produce a hard white substance when pressure is applied. I have tried every possible 'cure', including drinking lots of water, exfoliating daily, not moisturising, different kinds of moisturiser... I have been told in the past...

Flapper arm [ 19 Answers ]

It seems like the flapper arm is sticking up but I can't figure out why. Also I notice my toilet is flushing twice, what to do about that. Thanks a lot guys

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Lump under arm [ 1 Answers ]

Under my arm I have a growth... about the size of a golf ball a bit larger... went to clinic and got mamogram but didn't show so its just under my arm they didn't suggest any kind of dr. or referral of any kind... maybe not having ins. Didn't help with their volunteering info... also I noticed the...

Pain in the arm... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to ask that my dad got a pain in his arm from 3 weeks he have seen many doctors but can't get any relief plzz help.. doctorz says that this is a muscle pain.. they gave some gel for agaist pain but there no improvement in the pain its same as it was on first day.. can any body...

View more questions Search