Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cody_maasen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 01:53 AM
    Wiring light switches to share a light
    The best way to explain my question is with a made up lighting situation.

Suppose I have light fixture A, B, C, and D

I want Light Switch 1 to turn on Light Fixture A and B

I want light switch 2 to Turn on Light Fixture B, C, and D.

Is there anyway to to wire lights up this way. Every article I have found on 3-way and 4 way switches only show systems that turn on all the lights and turn them back off as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2010, 03:34 AM
    Not possible using fixed wiring to 3 way or 4 way switches.
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 04:58 AM
    Is this household or commercial? This can't be done on your lower voltage single phase but I have worked on several pieces of equipment on your higher voltages.
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 05:37 AM
    Comment on zeke's post
    Oops. Forgot to add the higher voltage equipment was in the commercial field with this type of circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring batroom fan/light to 2 switches ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have 3 sets of cables in the bathroom ceiling box, 2 separate switches in the wall (no red cable, each set has a black, white and copper) currently one switch turns both the fan and light at the same time, how can I wire the cables so one switch turns on the fan and one the light? I think...

Wiring a light with two switches. [ 2 Answers ]

We have an older home. The light for the stairway is on the mid-landing. There is a light switch at the top of the stairs and a light switch at the bottom of the stairs. I would like to be able to turn the light on at either point. Right now the switches have to be in a certain position before...

Wiring in multiple light switches [ 2 Answers ]

I need a wiring diagram for wiring in three switches in the same box all switches are for different lights.

Wiring 2 switches to a bathroom fan/light [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to have my bathroom light/fan operate separtaly, with one switch operating the light and the other operating the fan. The power coming to the switch is 3 wire (black, white, and ground). The wire coming from the light/fan:confused: is 4 wire (black, white, red, and ground). I have 2...

Wiring for multiple light switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have three light switches that control one light fixture. In the past, they all turned the light of and on independently. But recently it depends on where you turn if off. In some cases, it won't turn on at another switch. Someone told me it was the wiring or the switches. Nobody has changed...

View more questions Search