Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rolandprecilla Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Can my Doctor withhold information which would prove a crime?
    Hi, I believe my Doctor knows about a crime committed against me but he is not willing to confesses this to me. I beleve he is withholding important information that would prove my case. Can my Doctor withhold information from me in this way? What can I do to get this information from him?
    Regards
    Roland
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 21, 2010, 01:34 AM
    Doctors are bound by very strict laws of privacy. There are situations in which they must report what they believe are crimes, but to authorities only. Your lawyer should tell you all about this.

Nov 21, 2010, 02:59 AM

Hi joypulv, thanks for the response... I realise what I am about to say may be difficult to believe, but for argument sake lets just say its true for now... the crime I mentioned in my first post is police harassment by way of them stalking me and erroneously informing members of my community about me, which in turn caused them (community members) to act differently towards me by way of close scrutiny when ever I am out shopping or visiting my Doctors surgery. As a result of this treatment, I made a complaint of police harassment to my Doctor by way of a letter which was read out to him before I handed the letter to my Doctor, but he did not accept my letter and did not record what I told him on his computer. The fact that I was being treated differently in my Doctor's surgery, coupled with him not accepting my letter or recording what I told him on computer, makes me believe that he does know what has been going on concerning the police harassment, but when I asked through a "freedom of information" letter if he had been in consultation with the police about me, he said no and made some jovial jestures at me. However, I believe my Doctor is not telling the truth and is withholding important information that I need to prove my case... what can I do in this situation?
    Many thanks, roland
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2010, 05:54 AM

First, any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Second, there is NOTHING you can do if your doctor doesn't want to tell you. If your case gets to court, your attorney can subpoena the doctor and question him in court.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 21, 2010, 09:15 AM
    You are out of the US? Doctor's surgery isn't commonly used in the US.
    Roland, you are in areas of thoughts and feelings rather than physical injury or illness, so I'm wondering why you would be presenting your case to a doctor?
    I'm not saying doctors don't break confidence, because it has happened to me. Years ago our small town older MD called the house with my Lyme disease test result and gave it to one of my elderly parents, and I hadn't want my mother to know because sure enough, she immediately demanded that I get rid of my dog.
    I'm addressing the suspicions rather than legal matters. It can be devastating to feel stalked and treated differently without proof. Your doctor has said no, he told no one, and you need to accept that unless you have evidence otherwise. If he is a psychologist or psychiatrist, he spent years of extra schooling for the sole purpose of helping, not hurting. His jovial manner may have been meant to calm your fears, but perhaps you can ask him to talk it out.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2010, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandprecilla View Post
    Hi, I believe my Doctor knows about a crime committed against me but he is not willing to confesses this to me.
    Hello Roland:

If you're the victim of a crime, call the cops. Maybe he'll confess to them.

excon

Nov 21, 2010, 12:56 PM

Hi joypulv, yes I am in the uk. I presented my case to my doctor because the magnitude of what was happening was overwhelming and led to me having to go on anti-depressant tablets in October and by december/january I started to get treated differently by surgery staff including my doctor as a result I believe of them being erroneously informed about me so I felt forced into making a complaint to my doctor about what was happening. I hoped that this would help to stop what was happening and make them realise that the police were telling lies about me as part of a conspiracy against me. But the fact that my doctor is not confirming to me that he has been in consultation with the police about me and I was treated differently in the sugery makes me believe he has probably been silienced by the police or is afraid to comment because of who is involved (i.e. the police) and is therefore indirectly involved in the conspiracy himself. Another reason I am suspicious of my doctor is because he recently told me that I could be schizophrenic and sent me to see a psychiatrist. After a 6 month period of assessments and because I was co-hearse into talking I decided to confide in my psychiatrist and told him of my complaint of police harassment. However, he wrote in his assessment letter that I am suffering from paraniod psychosis without any investigation into what I told him etc... I do not believe this diagnosis is correct and my doctor can confirm what I am saying as I believe he does know but is not saying anything. The psychiatrist assessment letter also unnecessarily highlights that I was 30 minutes late to his appointment... as if to impugn my integrity in some way... even after the reason for my lateness was discussed with him... the letter is also threatening to section me under the mental health act. I believe this is all very unfair... and if there is really nothing I can do about this, then I believe there is a fundamental flaw in the law that needs to be addressed... because in my experience doctors are no saint's/angels and they do break the law... but from the feedback I am getting so far, it appears that doctors can get away with the most terrible of crimes... I would like to know the slightest of things that I can do in this situation to help me get my doctor in a court of law such that he can be questioned? I appreciate all comments; kind regards, roland

Nov 21, 2010, 01:21 PM

I'm sorry but a psychiatrist is not obligated to play detective. They can make an assessment based on their talks with you. I'm also sorry to tell you that, based on your posts here, a diagnosis of paranoia is not a stretch.

Now I grant that you have not presented any proof to substantiate your claims of harassment. I don't know whether such proof exists or not, nor would I expect you post them here because we have no way to verify them.

But you are making accusations against your doctor, solely on feelings you have about a change in the way you have been treated. You asked a question and your doctor answered with a No. That doesn't mean he has committed any crime.

The way I see it you have four options that are not mutually exclusive.

1) Take your case to the regional police authorities or even go as high as Scotland Yard. Ask that your claims be fully investigated.
    2) Take your case to a local or regional prosecutor again asking for a complete investigation.
    3) Retain a solicitor to advise you on what to do with your case.
    4) Retain a private investigator to assemble a case for you.

And why are you focusing only on your doctor? If you are right he's just one piece of the conspiracy. Another thing you haven't mentioned is WHY you have been targeted for this police harassment. I don't deny the police are capable of harassing someone, but I doubt if they would just target someone without any reason.

Unless you have some absolute proof, like people telling you that the police said this or that about you, then its not hard to see paranoia here.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2010, 04:13 PM

The drugs you are presently taking are not helping you but only making whatever paranoia you have much worse. Consider this an unwanted side effect of the meds and nothing more. No one is more than likely acting any differently towards you - it's your perception of their actions being different now that you are taking meds.

Nov 22, 2010, 01:19 PM

Ok guys, thank you very much for the input, I'm going to start putting a grievance together in the hope that I could extract some flaws to support my claims. All the best, roland

Nov 22, 2010, 04:35 PM
    Ok guys, thank you very much for the input, i'm going to start putting a grievance together in the hope that I could extract some flaws to support my claims. All the best, roland
    Good luck and keep us posted. We are still willing to help and advise you along the way.

Dec 16, 2010, 01:56 PM
    Grievance
    Hello

In a recent consultation meeting with my GP, I verbally told him that I believe he is withholding information from me and is therefore involved in a conspiracy against me. Because I told him this, can he refuse to look at/investigate my grievance?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 16, 2010, 02:26 PM

Well, to me GP means general practitioner, so is this your doctor you have the grievance with ? And what is the conspiracy ? Can you give us more information?

Tick
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
    Because I told him this, can he refuse to look at/investigate my grievance?
    Hello r:

He is under no obligation to investigate your claims. He can also drop you as a patient, and I'll bet he does.

excon

Dec 16, 2010, 06:06 PM

I've merged your threads. Please don't start a new thread over the same issue. This causes some of us to waste our time not knowing the previous correspondence.

Why would your GP be investigating your grievance? Unless your grievance is that you have not been given proper medical treatment by ANOTHER physician, your GP has no investigatory powers at all.

If you have a grievance with YOUR physician over his treatment of your health issues, then you take it to the local medical board or a malpractice attorney.

But that doesn't appear to be the case from your previous correspondence.

If you want an investigation into your claims, then hire a private detective to compile evidence that would support those claims.

Dec 17, 2010, 04:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I've merged your threads. Please don't start a new thread over the same issue. This causes some of us to waste our time not knowing the previous correspondence.

Why would your GP be investigating your grievance? Unless your grievance is that you have not been given proper medical treatment by ANOTHER physician, your GP has no investigatory powers at all.

If you have a grievance with YOUR physician over his treatment of your health issues, then you take it to the local medical board or a malpractice attorney.

But that doesn't appear to be the case from your previous correspondence.

If you want an investigation into your claims, then hire a private detective to compile evidence that would support those claims.
    Ok thank you.
    Roland
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 04:50 AM

Your doctor has no control over what the police does, and in fact if you feel the police are harassing you, a doctor has no power at all to do anything. He does have a obligation if he feels you are a danger to yourself or others, to actually give this information to the authorities.

Plus to be honest you have provided no clear information as to what is happening, as to what type of problems, or even what this poor doctor that is trying to help you is accused of doing.

Dec 17, 2010, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Your doctor has no control over what the police does, and in fact if you feel the police are harrassing you, a doctor has no power at all to do anything. He does have a obligation if he feels you are a danger to yourself or others, to actually give this information to the authorities.

Plus to be honest you have provided no clear informatoin as to what is happening, as to what type of problems, or even what this poor doctor that is trying to help you is accused of doing.
    OK, thank you. I will get back when I put a concise statement together as my issue is somewhat long winded; hence I was just trying to get some facts in bits. I just wanted to know if my grievance can be refused because of what I verbally told my doctor because I was told by a lawyer that I should not mention court proceedings in my grievance as they can use this to refuse an investigation into my grievance.

Regards
    Roland

Mar 31, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm sorry but a psychiatrist is not obligated to play detective. They can make an assessment based on their talks with you. I'm also sorry to tell you that, based on your posts here, a diagnosis of paranoia is not a stretch.

Now I grant that you have not presented any proof to substantiate your claims of harassment. I don't know whether such proof exists or not, nor would I expect you post them here because we have no way to verify them.

But you are making accusations against your doctor, solely on feelings you have about a change in the way you have been treated. You asked a question and your doctor answered with a No. That doesn't mean he has committed any crime.

The way I see it you have four options that are not mutually exclusive.

1) Take your case to the regional police authorities or even go as high as Scotland Yard. Ask that your claims be fully investigated.
    2) Take your case to a local or regional prosecutor again asking for a complete investigation.
    3) Retain a solicitor to advise you on what to do with your case.
    4) Retain a private investigator to assemble a case for you.

And why are you focusing only on your doctor? If you are right he's just one piece of the conspiracy. Another thing you haven't mentioned is WHY you have been targeted for this police harassment. I don't deny the police are capable of harassing someone, but I doubt if they would just target someone without any reason.

Unless you have some absolute proof, like people telling you that the police said this or that about you, then its not hard to see paranoia here.
    Hello again

I called my GP's surgery to ask them to send me a copy of their complaints procedure. I was refused a copy of their complaints proceudre unless I collected it in person or provided a self-addressed envelope. Is this right?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 12:21 PM
    ... he recently told me that I could be schizophrenic
    ...my psychiatrist ... wrote in his assessment letter that I am suffering from paraniod psychosis ...
    That says it all. :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compare and contrast natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

What are the major crimes in the FBI crime index?

What is Natural crime and What is Legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

What is Natural crime and What is Legal crime

Need definition of natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

Am doing a college paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime and am searching for simple definitions or other research on these two types of crime and what falls under each. Thanks:)

Natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

I also would like to know the major crimes used by the FBI in its crime index and which ones are wrong only because it is prohibited by law.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

I need to compare and contrast the concepts of natural crime and legal crime. Can anyone help me out?

View more questions Search