Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2GrandkidsforKaren Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Termination of Parental Rights
    Can a parent terminate their parental rights so they don't have to pay child support?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 6, 2007, 02:04 PM
    No. If that were the case there would be a line a mile long at the courthouses around the world.

Terminating parental rights just terminates your right to make decisions about the raising of the child.

If someone was responsible enough to lay down and make a child, that person should show the responsibility to financially take care of the child.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Terminating your rights to your child just to avoid paying child support is one of the lowest deeds you can do. The only thing lower would be shoveling coal in hell.

That being said, terminating rights to avoid the child support has been done. I do not know if all states allow it - but I know in Minnesota it can be done - has been done.

If you do this you are sending the strongest message to your child that I certainly hope comes back someday and bites you in the rear.

Jan 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Its my granddaughters father. My husband and I have become guardians to our granddaughter, our daughter is paying her child support, but the father is not, he refuses to pay child support. He is now looking at terminating his rights so "he doesn't have to pay child support and to get a fresh start" (His words)

Jan 6, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Can we fight the termination?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
    You should speak with a family attorney in your area to find out exactly what is going on with this particular court case. Although terminating financial responsibility does happen, it is rare.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
    You can fight anything in court. Find yourself an experienced attorney in Family Law. If your granddaughter's father is successful, hope he gets a new job shoveling coal...

Good luck to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Most if not all states will not allow it if someone objects, Most states do not allow it at all, unless there is a step parent to adopt the child and take over legal responsibility.

In most states merely giving up your rights has nothing to do with the obligation to pay. Most states have penalties for non payment, including losing the drivers license, one of our workers is in jail right now for non payment. And in many states the state will not let them, since if the child gets at some time any welfare the state is able to go back and get money from the other parents.

I will note that even MN if the parent who owes child support and the child receives welfare they also take over collection of the money, and MN will also garnish wages, take away drivers license, take away hunting license, refuse passports and more. So they are very aggressive in collection if you push the rights

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voluntary termination of parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just want to know how my husband can do to relinquish his parental rights over his daughter , we have been married for 7 years he recently told me he has a 1 year old daughter Its been hard for me to cope with this problem at first I tought the best thing to do was try and get visitation...

Consesual Termination of Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé has residential custody of his son. The biological mother of the child would like to consensually terminate parental rights to him. Where do we go to look for this paperwork, short of hiring a lawyer? What paperwork would be needed in order to do this mutually between ourselves? We...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is going to be three years old soon and her biological father has not been a constant in her life providing her with nothing emotionally or financially.My current partner is the only father she knows and has supported her.How can we get the biological father to sign over his rights?

Termination of Parental Rights in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Once the parental rights of the biological parents have been terminated, does that mean the relationship of all biological relatives are also terminated?

View more questions Search