Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrPayne Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Nov 19, 2010, 04:32 PM
    Computer Repair
    I am at fault here and I readily and wholeheartedly accept this butttttt... I would simply like your opinion on the matter. In February, 2010, my desktop computer failed to turn on out of nowhere. It had been working fine yet, out of the blue, it was in need of repair. That day, I loaded into the car and went to a nearby computer repair shop. He instantly diagnosed an issue with the power supply, gave me a $150 quote, and said it could be done within a day or two. While he was examining the computer, I received an emergency telephone call and told him I wanted the work done but had to leave - I SIGNED NOTHING - I didn't even provide my name/address/phone number. Anyway, this particular computer is the 3rd household computer and is not used often - so, me being being (a horrible procrastinator) - before I knew MONTHS have passed since I've even thought about the computer. Out of the blue, I thought about it and went to pick the computer up only to discover it had been trashed. They no longer have the computer and he explained to me they have a policy that states they do not keep unclaimed computers after 60 days. THERE IS NO SIGN ANYWHERE WITHIN THE SHOP that states this. Again... I SIGNED NOTHING... He didn't have any record of me in the computer or system because there wasn't one.

I accept full responsibility because of my procrastination. BUT... am I totally and completely wrong here? Do they owe me anything? It was a different circumstance since they know I never signed any documents. Can they hold someone accountable to "store policy" if you haven't signed anything to agree with the terms?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2010, 04:58 PM

It is unreasonable for you to expect them to keep abandoned property for more than 90 days.

Nov 20, 2010, 04:57 AM

Agree. Thanks, Gem.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2010, 04:43 PM

Computer repair guy should have called you up after the computer was fixed and told you to come and get it BUT since you didn't leave your name, address or phone number how COULD he have notified you since you ran out of the store? It's a very expensive lesson you learned here. Take it at that. And since you didn't sign anything you would have NO clue as to what the store's policies were or weren't.

Just chalk it up to one trashed computer lesson learned the hard way.

Nov 21, 2010, 09:40 PM

Unfortunately, twinkie, you summed it up well - a "lesson learned the hard way"... It's my fault - I accept that - I pray this lesson results in me NEVER doing something like this again! Thanks for the reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worried about personal files on computer sent in for repair [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend's laptop has been sent into the repair shop because it is effectively dead (flat battery and won't respond to being plugged in). However, my concern is the extremely personal video and images we put on it a couple of weeks ago :o How likely is it that the repair...

Computer repair [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace the on off button on my desk top computer

Computer Repair Business [ 2 Answers ]

Which programs are must haves for a computer repair business?

Starting Computer Repair Business A-Z [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Its always been my dream to start my own home based computer repair business. I need someone to guide me to the right path. I've been reading a lot about starting a business but I just had some problems regarding filing taxes regarding my computer repair business. I already acquired my Business...

Computer repair tech Freelance [ 3 Answers ]

I am considereing investing in an A+ computer repair tech course Someone told me that companies such as Gatewy use freelance contractors to service their home computer warranties and support I would want to freelance Thank You

View more questions Search