Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xBLACKxEYEx Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2010, 11:14 AM
    Phone Jack Wiring Help
    Ok... Well my phone jack upstairs has 2 of the 4 wires unconnected inside (I don't really know how to describe it but ask me if you need me to try harder) but thiers 4 wires inside when I open in and 2 of them seem to have snapped or came loose. Anyway I was wondering if someone could tell me how I could fix them/ reconnect them.

Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 11:28 AM

Most residential homes are wired using 4-lead cable, where the leads are red, green, yellow, and black. Usually (not always) the red-green pair is the only pair that you need to worry about, as residential phone service only needs one pair of wires. The red-green paiir should be connected to the center two terminals of the jack. The yellow-black pair may be used if you have a two-line phone, but otherwise it doesn't matter whether they are connected to the jack or not. Please clarify whether the cable is indeed as I described it, and which of the leads are connected to the jack. Also - you haven't said whether you are having problems with your phone line, and if so, in what way?

Nov 19, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Thanks for the answer.

I just checked and the red and green pair is not connected but the yellow black are... anyway I have no problem with the phone line as I have it installed on another phone jack downstairs.

Nov 19, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Ran out of characters on comment...
    I only need this connection to work so that I can connect my modem through it... it does connect on my downstairs jack also but I can only access xbox live through it being connected to the one upstairs.
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
    If you plug the working phone from downstairs into the upstairs jack do you get dial tone?

Nov 19, 2010, 11:45 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Yeah I do... any ideas? I was just going to re-connect the unconnected wire but don't know how I'd go about doing that.
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 12:19 PM

I don't understand what the problem is. The upstairs jack works, right? Are you trying to do something other than get a working phone line upstairs?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 03:08 PM

Right after Alexander invented the phone system, he set up a four wire circuit.

Red - Green were for Tip and Ring. Yellow was the bell circuit and Black was the ground circuit.

Currently, if you are using the small, clear plugs, Red and Green (Line #1) go to pins 3 (R1) and 4 (T1) <center two pins> Line 2 would be the Yellow/Black conductors. Yellow (R2) to pin 5 and Black (T2) to pin 2.

With a 2 pair station cable, you would be limited to two phone lines.

If you were using Cat5 cable, the individual parings used are different colors and you would be limited to 3 phone lines and a digital line.
    Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 03:33 PM

Donf - your post makes it sound like the yellow and black pair are needed for a plain old telephone service, but they're not. This second pair is only needed for a second line. If there is no 2nd phone line, they can be left disconnected.

XBlackxEyex - can you please explain a bit more what how you're planning to use the upstairs and downstairs jacks, and specifically what you are doing with thie modem you mentioned? Are you trying to use the phone wiring to connect something between the downstairs and upstairs jacks?

Nov 20, 2010, 07:16 PM

I guess you missed my causal mention of "Alexander", as in Alexander Graham-Bell for the almost original design.

No, I did not say that at all. I said the original design called for Yellow to be the bell circuit and Black to be the ground.

Please return and read my post, I clearly show the pin configuration for a 2 pair RJ-11 pin including their proper designations for each phone line.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2010, 08:38 PM

Actually, the second pair had another use... 50 years ago. A small transformer provided the power to light the dials on the older phones.

Nov 21, 2010, 05:44 AM

MB,

Sorry I don't go that far back in time.

Did you actually know Al when he was dreaming up this stuff? :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone jack wiring colors [ 1 Answers ]

We have a phone system for 2 lines. We just had a room painted and the phones no longer work on line one. Can you help?

Cat-5 wiring to a phone Jack which color scheme to use? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I need to place an extra phone jack for the computer. I want to use Cat-5 since I cannot get a hold of any Cat-3. I don't know which colors to use blue/w just blue both to do the connection from the main old time connection box in the basement to the phone jack. Any advice in how to choose...

Phone jack wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How is the jack to be wired to the wires coming from the wall?

How to change wiring on phone jack for DSL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need help! I have only one phone jack in room with computer. It is a separate line and number different from my home phone. I am getting DSL and will no longer need this separate number. When I cancel this number for cpu that line will be dead(I Think). I ordered my DSL on my regular...

Phone jack wiring [ 7 Answers ]

How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?

View more questions Search