Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clamaty Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Should I wear glasses/contacts/none?
    I'm going to be 17 soon. I am shortsighted. My left eye power has been -2.75 and my right is -3.25 since I was about 10 years old.
    I go for eye tests almost every year and my eye power has still been about the same. Serious.

Since I was 10, I did not like to wear my glasses because I find it quite irritating when it slips off. Also, I thought I did not look good in it. So I only use my glasses when I need to read the blackboard or when I use the computer or watch television or sometimes when I study. On normal occasions, I don't wear them.

The issue now is yesterday, I broke my glasses. I've been thinking about getting contacts. But I'm very lost about whether contacts is better or glasses is better. Or none. Because since I'm having an upcoming major exam, I won't have time to use the computer or watch television.

The only thing right now is just this year I have been getting headaches(previously I don't) and I wonder whether my eyes have been strained because of my on and off usage of glasses. And my frequent use on computer. Also, I've read that if you don't depend on glasses on contacts, it will help improve your eyesight. Yet I've read also about if you don't wear glasses or contacts, your eyes will be strained and you'll get headaches.

So my question is, what should I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2010, 08:13 PM

No, not using needed glasses will not "improve" your eye sight,

The need for glasses are also from different and various reasons. Most people, who need or use glasses, will slowly need to change their prescription.

Being vain about looks, merely hurts your eyes if you are not using them on a regular basis.

Contacts or glasses is merely a preference, assuming you can wear and use contacts.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 19, 2010, 04:30 PM

Your eye strain can be from on-off usage, not updating regularly, computer use without breaks, over use of computer. There are a number of reasons. With this eyesight that you listed you can be fined for driving without correction. If you are prescribed lenses, wear them.

Not wearing correction will not make the eyes work harder and then heal themselves as some people believe... This will get you hurt, into trouble or many other things can occur from one not being able to see properly while performing everyday activities.

Nov 21, 2010, 11:34 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Thank you so much :) I understand now.

Nov 21, 2010, 11:35 PM
    Comment on ChihuahuaMomma's post
    Thank you so much :) I'm not driving yet, in my country I can only drive after my 17th birthday.
    I just got my contacts today, and I'll be getting a pair of glasses too.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 11:52 AM

Good to hear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you need to wear glasses all the time? [ 34 Answers ]

Ok, this is kind of a secret from my mum, I'm short sighted since for a long time now , and only my dad knows about it since yesterday. I can see things like close up, but stuff like writing on the whiteboard I can't see. (So yeah... I have bad eyes as you can say) So, having this year to be my...

Always wear glasses? [ 2 Answers ]

I know its been asked before, and it seems the bottom line is always "if you want to, then wear them all the time, if not, then don't" but I'm just curious to see the responses to my situation. after a good 10 yrs or so since I last had glasses, finally went back to the vision place and got a...

Contacts and glasses were given to an incorrect patient, should I report this? [ 2 Answers ]

We had a patient come in for an examination and to order glasses and contacts. The optician who did the orders placed the information under another patients name and the merchandise was later dispensed to that incorrect patient. Both parties have been contacted and I have been told that is all we...

Free glasses? Contacts? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 17 and in education. Would I be able to get new glasses if mine have broken? And does the same apply 4 contacts?

View more questions Search