Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spea94 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Nov 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Loaned money to family over 10 yrs ago
    Can they go to court and get it back?

The money was borrowed sometime in 2000. It was from and Uncle to a Nephew. He borrowed $16,500 and never paid a cent!

Can the Uncle try and get his money back or is it too late?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 18, 2010, 03:20 PM

Asuming that there is no written contract for this loan - it'll be difficult unless there are witnesses to the oral contract. The fact that the uncle has waited 10 years implies that this was actually a gift, not a loan. Does the uncle have any written documentation that he tried to get the nephew to repay over the years?
    spea94 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Nov 18, 2010, 03:40 PM

I believe he does. The reason he waited was because he was not hurting for money and knows that his nephew was going through a divorce and didn't want to add to it! In the divorce agreement he signed stating he takes the loan from his Uncle while the Former wife took the debt of her mother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My brother has loaned me money. Should I put him on the title of my condo? [ 5 Answers ]

Do I first get the approval of my mortgage broker, which means I would have to reassess my condo, and then pay a fee? Consequently, will my property taxes go up? My property has doubled in value, but my income has decressed so far that I have not been able to refinance. I need advice.

Claim from relative to mother about past money loaned [ 6 Answers ]

My mother just received a claim from my aunt of money she claims is owed to her from previous loans. She has copies of the "duplicate" check written to her dated 12.1.05 for $500.00 and two others for $60.00 each dated in 10.01.06. My mother said she had repaid the $500.00 in cash to my uncle...

Loaned Money To A Friend And He Skipped Out Can We Sue? [ 18 Answers ]

Hello! I hope someone can help me. Four months ago we took a friend into our home who had been evicted from his apartment (after his roommate took his rent money and didn't pay the rent). We fed him, housed him (never charged him a dime) and loaned him $1200 he said he needed for college...

Pay me back loaned money [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get reimbursed for money I loaned a family member who signed a NOTE to pay me back with interest? Their house is for sale and I would like to attach a lien on the house if that is a possibility. How do I do this?? They live in a different County, but; the same State. :confused:

Moley loaned to family [ 4 Answers ]

My Stepson borrowed money from me and has paid some of it back. However he has not paaid anything in the past 6 months. He did sign an agreement to pay back the loan. He has since moved out of the state and will not contact us. We only have a Post Office box address for him and an Email address. He...

View more questions Search