Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djmcgoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 09:22 AM
    How to cancel a verbal agreement with collection agency
    I received a call from NCO Fincial Services on an old account they said I had a judgment on. I had never received anything in writing from this company. When I asked if they had sent anything to me they said they sent a notice out on November 1. I said I had not received it. I mistakenly (now I know) made a verbal agreement and gave them my bank account information. I have since learned this was WRONG. Is there a letter I can write to cancel this agreement and have them NOT take payment out of my account. How do I go about canceling this verbal agreement. I did ask for terms in writing but all they sent me was a letter stating I agreed to a postdated check and when it would be deposited. Ironically, I receive the first notice the next business day, November 15, but it was dated November 9, not November 1 as they stated in the phone call. If they lied to me about this, what else did they lie to me about. Also, my girlfriend who has some knowledge of this attempted to talk to him, with my verbal approval, at which point he said he could not talk to her and he demanded I take the phone off speaker phone. She was apparently starting to ask questions (basically debt validation questions) that he did not want to hear. I still felt pressured and gave my account information to him. What can I do to stop this before payment is withdrawn from my account?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Nov 18, 2010, 10:44 AM

Have you checked the courts to make sure you have a judgement? If you don't they could be blowing smoke and trying to get you to pay anyway they can. Check your courts and see IF they have a judgement,If they do they would wipe out your bank account and they would more than likely already have your bank information. NEVER EVER give out that information to any one
    djmcgoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
    There is a judgement but not from NCO, it is HSBC through Foster and Garbus. Ironically, the amount of the judgment is more than NCO claims and I have not paid on it. I thought they could not take my bank account in NY unless there is more than $1700 in it. I know now about not giving the information. They caught me when my guard was down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease Cancel Agreement VA [ 4 Answers ]

I live in VA. I had a realtor handle the rental application and years lease. This is my first rental. The check that was received for deposit and first months rent bounced and the tenant continued to have excuses getting the money to me. I asked the realtor for a copy of the contract and realized...

Can I cancel a contract (like a lease agreement) within 24 hrs of signing? [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a lease today and afterwards I regreted the decision. I talked with the neighbors and they told me a horror story. I really want to get out! NOW! I'm in FL and I have heard something about opting out of a contract within 24 or 48 hours. Anybody... please help, QUICK!

Mutual agreement to cancel contract for deed [ 1 Answers ]

My niece has decided to cancel our contract for deed on a house she was buying from me. I agree that this decision is best for her at this time. How can we cancel the contract for deed without hiring lawyers since we both already agree on the terms? What paperwork do I need to give the county...

Collection agency still calling after payment agreement made & pymts being made [ 4 Answers ]

I have an outstanding bill with Hydro one in Ontario of 800.00 owing since 2003, with interest the bill has now doubled to 1600.00, I was unable to make payments on this bill due to financial reasons, but this past month & half I have been paying 100.00 /month to the collection agency, they are...

View more questions Search