Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    urcullu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2004, 04:51 PM
    Reprinting books without copyright notice
    I would like to know if it is legal for me to reprint a 2 volume history & biography set - that bears no copyright information - at my expense for resale purposes? The 2 volume set was published in 1907 and 1908 by a publishing company that is no longer in existence. The history was compiled primarily from newspaper articles, printed sources and interviewing about 150 people of the areas included. The biographies contain a considerable amount of family history, genealogy and pictures that would be invaluable to descendants of those included in the volumes. I contacted several public libraries and historical societies, local and state, and only one had a set which was a xerox copy. They all expressed an interest in a reprinted set. What about reprinting books over 70 years since publication that do contain copyright information?
    I am a military retiree. To supplement my retirement and to help people researching their roots, I opened a small used book store specializing in history and genealogy.
    buttonnose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2004, 04:51 PM
    Re: Reprinting books without copyright notice
    According to international copyright law, a book is protected under the law for 90 years after its publication so this books is probably expired...
    OutlawDJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 01:41 PM
    This is, of course, a very late answer, but it may help other people who stumble across this question. Any work that was printed before January 1, 1923 is in the public domain. January 1, 1923 is the cutoff for the first change that took place in copyright law. Any work before this date could only be copyrighted for a maximum of 56 years. Works printed from 1923 to 1963 only fall under the extended copyright laws if their copyright was renewed for a second 28 year term. Works printed before 1978 that were printed without a valid copyright notice are also in the public domain.

This is how this needlessly complicated law is written. Because of loopholes that isn't always the way it works. The only way to be safe with any work printed after December 31, 1922 is to perform a copyright search. Otherwise you can get into a lot of trouble. The only safe area is on works printed before January 1, 1923.

All this confusion is why I support a flat 50 year copyright law. It would remove all of the confusion and the people at the Copyright Office would be able to understand their own laws. Let's face it, after 50 years the vast majority of works are not going to be making any money. They no longer need protection and should be released to the general public. Write your Congressperson.

I hope this information is helpful.
    kunalreck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Hi,
    I want to publish books on fiction and non fiction which have been written post 1923. What are the laws related to publishing of such works. Can you please help me on internet sites/books which can elaborately explain law on copyright of books

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Photo Copyright [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a limit to copyright protection for photographs found on the internet or even old library books? I cannot afford the fees some of these folks are asking!

Date for copyright [ 3 Answers ]

!0 years ago my book was published with a date of copyright by me. Now I am about to self publish with a new title and cover design. I will register it when I get 2 printed copies to send to Washington; however I need to know if the title page should list one or both copyright years. And should it...

Copyright Law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I have seen several galleries on the net that are composed of images clearly scanned from newspapers and magazines. How is this not an infringement of copyright laws. :confused: Is it because the site owner makes no financial gain from the images or do they have to get...

Copyright Laws [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am interested in starting a new business copying VHS and 8mm videos to DVD format. My big question, "Is this Legal" or "Is it a copyright violation"? I plan on destroying the original VHS tape once the format change is complete. I would keep written documentation of all destroyed original...

View more questions Search