Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggie131210 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Problems with jack russell
    Hi everyone very new to this but I have a few problems with my jack russell she is 4 I would like to ask you all if you don't mind. I have not took her to the vet yet because I don't actually know if it's all normal and me being paranoid. I have looked on the net but it is very hard to find things so I thought I'd come here.

1.shivering - she keeps shivering when she hears a noise, when someone's about making noises or even just sitting down doing nothing she will just shiver. Does anyone know if this is right or not?

2.Cover - She really enjoys laying on a cover but recently she keeps going under it I wouldn't mind it but she puts her whole self under and I worry she won't be able to breath. She really pulls at it though and puts it on here.

3.Laying on us all - She keeps laying really close to us even if I'm just sitting on the sofa she will lay really close to me.

4.Active - She has become less active than she used to be all she does now is lay around everywhere if I opened the back door before she used to go running out there but now she looks out there and shivers.

That's most of what's wrong but I thought I would say recently we think we may have foxes at the back of the garden we are not sure but since we found out I have been watching her out there very carefully even installed a light to make sure I can see her a lot of friends say this could be why she's shivering but they are not sure. I just thought I would ask you lot because you seem to know a lot of this topic and I am quite overprotective with her so I thought I'm better off asking before going to the vet.

Looking forward to all replys

Thanks in advance :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
    You might look at this recent thread, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/m...xie-52250.html Since the problem is worse recently, I think you should visit the vet. I would also make sure her shots are up to date. Who knows what the foxes could be carrying.

If fright is the problem, the confidence building I suggested in https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/h...and-52501.html might help.

Reduced activity could either be the cause or effect of over weight. Compare her to http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx Adjust her chow as needed.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 7, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Maggie -

As someone who is permitted to live with a jack (Kidding - I adopted him from a shelter a couple of years ago and he's active in earthdog and agility) - I chuckled at your questions.

Connor is of the distinct impression that winter was designed just to bother him. Remember, they have very very little coat. Connor is a tunnel rat (likes to go under the covers) and cuddles close when he thinks he's cold.

That said, some jacks are prone to being more high strung and anxious than Connor is and so confidence can be a problem.

I would make a vet visit to rule out anything that may be causing a fever (which would make her feel colder) for starters.

Please let us know how you make out

-Beth
    animal advocate Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 01:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maggie131210
    Hi everyone very new to this but i have a few problems with my jack russell she is 4 i would like to ask you all if you don't mind. I have not took her to the vet yet because i don't actually know if it's all normal and me being paranoid. I have looked on the net but it is very hard to find things so i thought i'd come here.

1.shivering - she keeps shivering when she hears a noise, when someones about making noises or even just sitting down doing nothing she will just shiver. Does anyone know if this is right or not?

2.Cover - She really enjoys laying on a cover but recently she keeps going under it i wouldn't mind it but she puts her whole self under and i worry she won't be able to breath. She really pulls at it though and puts it on here.

3.Laying on us all - She keeps laying really close to us even if i'm just sitting on the sofa she will lay really close to me.

4.Active - She has become less active than she used to be all she does now is lay around everywhere if i opened the back door before she used to go running out there but now she looks out there and shivers.

Thats most of whats wrong but i thought i would say recently we think we may have foxes at the back of the garden we are not sure but since we found out i have been watching her out there very carefully even installed a light to make sure i can see her alot of friends say this could be why shes shivering but they are not sure. I just thought i would ask you lot because you seem to know alot of this topic and i am quite overprotective with her so i thought i'm better off asking before going to the vet.

Looking forward to all replys

Thanks in advance :)
    I would definitely have her see the vet. She could have a hypothyroid condition. Sometimes the only symptom you will see is sensitivity to cold. Also shivering can be a symptom of pain and of course fear.

Let us know what you find out.

Hope this helps.

Molly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Jack Russell toilet training! [ 6 Answers ]

We have a jack russell who we "adopted" from a lady who kept him in a small flat. He wasn't toilet trained and he just will not learn! We leave paper on the floor, take him for regular walks, and we've even tried leaving the back door open at night (our german shepherd would scare off any would-be...

Sudden problem with jack russell [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. This morning I came home from work and my jack russell was sleeping with my wife like usual. When I came in the room I put him on the floor to go outside and use the bathroom but he just sat back down. When I would walk and call him to me he would stand but seem wobbly and stick a back leg...

Dach Russell with crooked front legs [ 1 Answers ]

Our 2 year old Dacshound and Jack Russell cross is doing well, healthy, energetic, and fun. What has us concerned is that his front legs are so bowlegged and turned out to such a degree that his feet turn completely sideways... in ballet it would be first position. He doesn't seem to have a problem...

About my jack russell [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old darling jack russell. He just got a rabie shot yesterday. March 5. today he is very calm, and quite, he won't eat or drink. He just sleeps. Is this the reaction to the rabie shot. Please someone answer my question. This is my first dog. I am elderly. Got him for a...

Jack Russell turned vicious & won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

Our 15+ year old Jack Russell ***** has attacked our 15+ year old Golden Retriever ***** 6 times now. Last attacked resulted in bad bite to the Jack's nose. We have cleaned the wound and treated it with antibiotic cream and she is resting but still will not eat or drink. She looks like she is in...

View more questions Search