Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breanna2009 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Kicked me out
    Recently my sister has kicked me and my boyfriend out.
    She is now telling me that because I have a month to month lease that I need to write a 30 day notice and that I will owe her for next months rent. I believe she is also doing welfare fraud because when we moved in she did not tell the state of Minnesota which gives her food stamps and cash assistance. She also didn't tell the official landlord that we were living there. What shall I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 03:48 PM

It is your sister who has to giev you a 30 day notice, not the other way around. Since she is in violation of the law you do not owe her any rent since you have been illegally evicted. However, even though you may have a legal right to stay for another month and pay rent it would be really uncomfortable for all of you, why would you want to? I'd just walk away
    breanna2009 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Thank you
    Stranded1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 03:08 PM
    If you have moved out, there is nothing more to be done. First, you are not on the lease so she is unable to legally evict you for any reason. She would have to notify her landlord of the situation and the landlord must be the one to evict. Most likely, she would be the one facing eviction. Second, you do not owe her any money. Even if you were behind on paying rent to her, she would have to file a civil complaint with the courts to obtain a judgment requiring you to pay restitution. She would have to fill out the paperwork and pay the court money in order to have you served with a complaint, and it doesn't sound like this is something she would follow through on.

I would just let the whole thing go. In time, this will be nothing more than a memory. Good luck to you all!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 18, 2010, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranded1 View Post
    If you have moved out, there is nothing more to be done. First, you are not on the lease so she is unable to legally evict you for any reason. ...
    I think this was a moot question because the OP has moved out. But this part of the answer is, in my humbile opinion, incorrect. A tenant can evict a sub-tenant.
    Stranded1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 05:31 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    For the most part, it is indeed a moot question. I should have further clarified that I was speaking of Ohio law. In my state of Ohio, what I stated was and is absolutely correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kicked out [ 5 Answers ]

I have finally reached the point where I have kicked my daughter out of the house. I love her with all my heart but since the age of 16 she has treated me like the child and chooses not to listen to me. She is for the most part a good kid, gets good grades and no trouble with the law but she...

Been kicked out [ 1 Answers ]

I have been living in my partners house for 2 years 5months after selling my property and getting rid of all my furniture! I live with him with my 2 Children, one 17 who's now living with my parents and the other 12 who is with me. We are currently homeless living with friends as my partner kicked...

Getting kicked out when I'm only 15 [ 3 Answers ]

My mom kicked me out of the house almost 3 months ago and I'm only 15 and she has full custody of me.. what should I do?

Kicked out [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, so this one confuses me. If you are under 18, and your parent(s) kick you out, and you leave because they don't want you in their house, do they have the right to call you in as a run-a-way juvinile? And if they do, what happens if you tell them that you were kicked out and have witnesses?

View more questions Search