Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephanieann8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 06:58 AM
    Small Claims court problem
    In New York small claims court, after the plaintiff has won, can a judge call the plaintiff up and say he/she can sue for more because the judge overlooked a receipt? Even though the plaintiff was pleased with the amount already.

Also, on my notice it said I was being sued for auto parts only. And ended up having to pay the plaintiff for labor, when the plaintiff doesn't own a shop, and no agreement was signed, is this correct?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanieann8 View Post
    is this correct?
    Hello S:

I don't know.. You can appeal the decision based on that fact, and let another judge look it over. Hopefully you didn't wait too long.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 01:56 PM
    In New York small claims court, after the plaintiff has won, can a judge call the plaintiff up and say he/she can sue for more because the judge overlooked a reciept? Even though the plaintiff was pleased with the amount already.

Also, on my notice it said I was being sued for auto parts only. And ended up having to pay the plaintiff for labor, when the plaintiff doesn't own a shop, and no agreement was signed, is this correct?
    Yes, the judge can determine the amount is owed even though it may be more than the plaintiff calculated.

Did the plaintiff himself do the labor to install the parts? How did the judge figure how much labor was worth?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2010, 07:54 AM
    In New York small claims court, after the plaintiff has won, can a judge call the plaintiff up and say he/she can sue for more because the judge overlooked a reciept? Even though the plaintiff was pleased with the amount already.

Try reversing the situation: say you fixed someone's car and they didn't pay you for your time or for the parts you put in. Would you want a judge to award you money for your effort even if you didn't own a shop?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend claims I owe him money and is taking it to small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

I was on holiday with a friend who booked and paid for a trip. When we got home he asked me for the money for this trip. He never told me how much it cost or that he would want me to contribute until afterwards. I have told him that he should have asked first and I wouldn't have gone as I cannot...

Small Claims Court [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I can take my Step-daughter to Small Claims court in order to retrieve my money. She owes me $8,310 dollars. She signed a contract for part of it. She moved to Florida. In other words she robbed me, What can I do? Does Small Claims Court handle these matters in the county one...

Small Claims Court [ 47 Answers ]

I have been sued in Small Claims Court by a debt collector. I filed an answer and then received a pretrial conference order. I would like to file a motion to dismiss because debt collectors can not sue in small claims court in Texas. I would like to know if I can file my motion now or must I wait...

View more questions Search