Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pop000 Posts: 352, Reputation: 6

Nov 17, 2010, 04:47 AM
    Force between particles
    How do I know which material:C3H8, SO3, F2
    Has the highest molar mass and the highest Polarity

I think SO3 got the highest molar mass but I don't sure.

Hope you can help me :)

Thnaks
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 07:10 AM

For the molar mass, what about find each molar mass?

The molar mass is obtained by adding the relative atomic mass of each atom present in the molecule.

The highest polarity is the molecule that contains a species which is often more negative than another. I don't know if you were taught the term 'electronegativity', but this is a way to determine whether a molecule is polar or not and deduce the relative strengths of these 'poles'.

If a molecule has one of the three most electronegative elements, it is already very likely to be polar.
    Then, the molecule's centre of polarity must not coincide, that is the positive pole should not be in the same place as the negative pole, or else, they cancel out.
    That's it, if those two conditions are met, you can say that the molecule has a high polarity!

Nov 17, 2010, 08:34 AM
    Well OK but can you tell me form this list who got the most highest Polarity ?
    Is need to be so3 or c3h8
    But I don't sure.

I tell you I got Question like this Order the materials from the most high Force between particles to the most low

So I know that for material to be with high Force between particles he need to be with the most molar mass and highest Polarity
    I got this list:KBr, F2, SO3, C3H8 I know that KBr have the most highest Polarity and molar mass
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 09:02 AM

Okay, KBr indeed has the strongest forces between its particles but not because of its mass but because it is an ionic compound.

Molar mass has nothing to do with strength of intermolecular forces.

Then, you will have the polar molecules. However, all three molecules are non polar, all their centre of charge coincide.

So, how do you think you'll proceed now?

Nov 18, 2010, 02:42 AM
    Yes but there is a difference between force between the molecular like:van der Waals force here the molar mass is very Important to know about the strong of the force.

And there force into the molecular like: Covalent bond.
    So if they ask me about the force between the molecular so I need to see if there a van der Waals force or Hydrogen bond I see there is no Hydrogen bond but van der Waals force because there Polarity even Momentary Polarity like in F2

Do I Right?
    Thnaks about your help.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2010, 03:22 AM

Right! :)

You should consider only Van der Waals forces. And remember than momentary dipole are not due to atomic mass but are due to the number of electrons. The larger amount of electrons, the stronger the momentary dipole.

Since we are looking at the force between the particles, we don't consider the forces within the molecules, that is, we don't consider the intra-molecular covalent bonds.

Nov 18, 2010, 03:44 AM
    Ok so from the list F2 SO3 C3H8 I can know that

SO3 have the most number of electrons. So "The larger amount of electrons, the stronger the momentary dipole".
    then come C3H8 then F2 here I not sure 100%

so I answer like this:
    the list:C3H8, SO3, F2 need to be like this from the most highest force between particles to the most low :1)SO2 2) C3H8 3)F2
    because the force come stronger as there more number of electrons Since there is a higher probability of presence of polar moments of molecule.

tell me if this words is truth: "Mulary mass of material is a measure of the size of its electron cloud"?
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2010, 03:56 AM

The order is good :)

"Mulary mass of material is a measure of the size of its electron cloud"

Sorry, I don't understand the first word >.<

Could you make a little more effort about your English please?

Nov 18, 2010, 04:04 AM
    Oh yea I will try to make my English better sorry about it.
    I mean:Molar mass of material is a measure of the size of its electron cloud?

Uber Member

Nov 18, 2010, 04:14 AM

No, atomic mass is. Molar mass takes into account the number of neutrons as well, which doesn't affect Van der Waals forces.

Nov 18, 2010, 05:10 AM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Ok thanks so much about your time really help me.
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Nov 18, 2010, 10:18 PM
    This has been an interesting discourse.
    The trigonal planar shape of SO3 makes it a nonpolar molecule, but the S-O bonds are very polar and so it has substantial dipole - dipole interactions. This is shown by the higher melting and boiling point of SO3 compared to the other two compounds. The molecular weight is often considered in discussions like this to show the role of the intermolecular interactions on the boiling point (the higher the M.W. the higher the expected boiling point) It would not seem pertinent here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can a force transferred person force a more senior employee to go to a different [ 1 Answers ]

2 employees with less seniority have been put in my department and now I have been forced to a different shift

I have white particles and sand particles in my well water [ 1 Answers ]

Well water problem-over the last couple years the water pressure has been decreasing and the water filter is plugging up weekly with what appears to be tiny white plastic and sand particles the filter is before water softener and hot water heater but after pressure tank any help would be...

Can the force of an elastic band be equated to a certain poundage of force? [ 2 Answers ]

This seems like a simple yes, but here is my confusion. A band snaps back faster than an object would free fall. So even if a stretched band was 20 pounds of force, it is pulling at a higher velocity than a twenty pound weight. For example if you do an arm curl with a 20 pounds weight, it...

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

At what value of Force, can we feel the effect of gravitational force between objects [ 2 Answers ]

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE QUESTION AND THEN ANSWER At what value of Force, could we feel or see the effect of gravitational pull or force between two objects. E.g. 2 pencils kept at a very small distance (r) exert a force (F) on each other such that they are pulled by each other and stick to each...

View more questions Search