Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krsity84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 07:08 PM
    Theft over $5000 in canada?
    My little brother works at a hotel. Recently the manager noticed $6200 missing over the past 2mths. It is between 2 of them that it could be. They are doing a forensic audit on the computer to determine who they think it is. He said it could very well look like him. If he is the one that ends up getting charged what are his chances of getting off? Is that good evidence. What will happen in court? What do you think the out come will be? Any info would be great! Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 04:00 PM
    If only two of them were involved with handling the hotels money, in their particular bailywick (what was it the bar) then they would have all his pertinent transactions. So, yes, I do believe computer forensics will determine which one took the money. I am not sure if this is admissible in court, but it will prove who did it.

Tick
    snickersandmilk Posts: 12, Reputation: -2

Nov 28, 2010, 01:33 PM
    That's tough. They have to PROVE he did it. Whatever evidence they can find to prove he's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, they will use.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2010, 02:02 PM

Computer forensics are usually admissible, but the person performing the analysis will have to prove his credentials. Reasonable doubt only comes into play if the case goes before a jury. Your brother's attorney will advise him of how strong the case is. A plea bargain may be a better alternative, especially if this is a first offense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000, Canada [ 8 Answers ]

It was unquestionably stupid, and I shouldn't have done it. I can hardly sleep or do anything with this on my mind. I already have a warning on record for theft, while I was under 18, this is the second time. I'm over 18, and I need to make a court appearance in front of a judge. The officer...

Theft under $5000-Canada [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I was caught for stealing at walmart. They brought me into the back room and did a police chack. Since it wamy first offense, I was pardoned. They didn't issue me a court date or anything, does this mean I don't have to go to court?. Do pardons show up on your record? I am currenlty looking...

Theft of about $5000 - Canada [ 4 Answers ]

This is my first offence. I have been caught doing refunds for cash and gift cards at Sears. The amount as of right now is around $4000. I was wondering what type of punishment I might receive. I know I screwed up so there's no need to call me stupid as I already feel that way. This is my first...

Theft under 5000-canada [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for the help. However, if they were going to press charges, wouldn't they have done it right away when the theft occurred?. Why do it at a later date?. If theyare going to press charges how long do they usually wait?. and how does this occur?. letter in the mail?

Theft over $5000 in Canada [ 11 Answers ]

In May 2006, I had a merging of accounts at my bank. This deposited about $27,000 into my checking account. I called the bank and the call centre to get this straigtened out and no matter what, they insisted it was mine since all of my information was correct. I paid off a few bills and spent some...

View more questions Search