Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annhodges Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 06:36 PM
    My brother has been trying to find his birth certificate for years.
    My brother has been trying to find his birth certificate for years. My mother (passed) said he was adopted by my father. We think this happened in CA but they have no adoption records. We moved to Flordia in 1969 and my mom registered him in school with my fathers last name. The state of Michigan, where we think he was born, said he is shown with his original birth name, but they cannot give him the BC because he has been another name since 1969. He filled out his sown Social Security card info in middle school. We are not even sure where parents married.His drivers license will expire in 30 days and a new law requires a birth certificate! Does anyone have any idea what we can do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 06:42 PM

You do not have "two birth certificates, It is very possible that there was no adoption and they merely illegally changed your name. And of course they can give him a birth certificate ( another case of telling someone too much info)
    You request a copy in writing, giving mothers and fathers name, and they send you a copy.

The record of his birth certificate is in the state he was born.
    annhodges Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 06:52 PM
    Thank you for the reply. We do not know who is father was... this is another problem that we have no way to solve. MI has a birth record in his name and DOB. However, his social and everything else is in my fathers names, so he cannot provide proof of his name at age... like 11. I think she changed his name when we moved to Florida without doing it legally. Do you happen to have any further thoughts? Thank you for your time,
    TexanPatriot Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2010, 09:08 PM
    There should have been an adoptive birth certificate in one of the 3 states involved (CA, MI, or FL) Expand your search for all three states and search for both names Current and Birth. An adoptive birth certificate is just really an amendment to an original birth certificate. It could be whovever assisted with this was confused or was a bit challenged by the inquiry. I would repursue it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2010, 05:00 AM

So Michigan has a record that he was born there. But they are refusing to provide a birth certificate because he has no ID in the name that is on the BC? If he was born in MI then that is where you need to go to get the because. You have to resolve this with the MI authorities to see what they will need to provide a copy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find a copy of my over seas birth certificate ? [ 0 Answers ]

At the time of my birth my parents were not married and my farther was based in germany with the british army, I've had a british passport how ever this has been lost for many years now I'm really struggling to get either please help

Where can I find out about Florida Birth certificate laws? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is pregnant and her ex b/f does not want anything to do with this pregnancy, wanted her to have an abortion. She was wondering if when she delivers, can she put someone else's name on the birth certificate as the father's name instead of the father. There is someone that she has been...

No birth certificate available. What to do to find birth records. [ 4 Answers ]

Mother denies adoption. Aunt verifys adoption or possible illegal adoption. Baby boy born in cook county, IL February 14, 1963. Dr. Knapp handled getting baby for adopted mother. That is the only information we know. No birth certificate available under baby boys name. What to do?

What rights does a man who signs birth certificate five years ago have not the father [ 5 Answers ]

What rights does a man who is not the father but signs birth certificate been on there for five years and has raised the child for five years have

Adding father to birth certificate after 6 years [ 1 Answers ]

Our daughter was born in Florida and her father and I now live on Colorado. How do we go about adding him to the birth certificate even though it has been 6 years?

View more questions Search