Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nursey83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 08:59 AM
    Can I sue for a HIPPA violation
    I recently asked for a copy of a bill that showed what my father's insurance and medicare had paid. The anesthesiologists office sent a copy of this, but also, sent 2 pages with not only my fathers info- account number, SSnumber,etc,but numerous other former patients info! This is a major HIPPA violation. I am wanting to know if we can see this place,as this happened one other time about 7mo ago, and I spoke with a supervisor which assured me that there would be an "inservice" for employees on this matter. With identity theft on the rise, if this info had gotten in the wrong hands, it would have been disastrous
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Nov 16, 2010, 09:18 AM

When it comes to HIPPA, you don't have the basis for a civil lawsuit. This is a case for your state's Department of Health to handle. One of their many tasks is to ensure doctors are following the HIPPA laws. Please check your yellow pages for state gov't offices and look up DOH. If you can't find it, contact your State Attorney General's office. Either dept should be able to help you.

Thank you for showing concern about other people's personal information. This may not be the first time your state's DOH has had a complaint against that doctor's office and they may need your info to help them build their case against him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Can I sue my employer or coworker for violating health privacy (HIPPA)? [ 6 Answers ]

I found myself in the hospital needing surgery. When I returned to work I found out that the general manager of the facility had violated my right to privacy regading some particular information about the situation to some coworkers as well as an ex-employee. Just trying to discoveer what kind of...

HIPPA Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it a HIPPA violation to contact your fathers VA social worker to give her information that my father or his caregivers ARE NOT giving them?? We are not asking questions about his health , just adding information that both are not giving.

Would that be a HIPPA violation? [ 1 Answers ]

A nurse working at one facility told another nurse that there was a rumor about someone getting raped at the facility the other nurse worked in. She asked the nurse if she had heard anything about it, in which the response was no but she would try to find out what happened. The other nurse then...

Hippa violation? [ 2 Answers ]

My employer is looking for a new health insurance company for all employees. The insurance companies are asking for medical information on each employee. Does the employer have the right to receive the information and then forward it to the insurance company? This seems like a violation a ritht to...

View more questions Search