Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rvdsid Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 06:45 AM
    What can you do when a judge takes a defendants word over documented rental charges?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2010, 08:10 AM

Why did the judge do that? Was there any other sort of evidence?

Why documented the rental charge? Was it backed up by bank statements or some sort of money trail?

Nov 16, 2010, 08:40 AM
    He has let his personal feelings overshadow his Judgment. I had documented rental income sheets for 3 yrs. Where I had traded some work out with this person in exchange for reducing the rental rate for 1 yr. I wasn't that concerned about the money because she did some work to the building. They installed carpet, framed up offices, etc. but... at her own expense because that was what she wanted. This wasn't brought up in the court case, but anyway
    Her husband did some work to an adjacent building, he replaced wood on 2 spots in an old General store, he added a couple 220 outlets, and built a back deck on the back. I paid for materials. She said it would be $2500 and later when he was through she said for me not to worry about the $2500 she would take care of it and not charge me because up to this point I hadn't collected ANY rent from them. She helped me on 3 occasions with plumbing work at no discussed price. There are several buildings that are connected via the sewer, and the line became backed up and affected her unit, and she told me about it. The contract Clearly states that ALL Plumbing stoppages are the tenants responsibility. I brought this up, pointed it out to her and the judge. She went and got some guy and Supposedly he charged her $1700. NEVER saw a bill, wasn't brought to court. She had also taken a Very Large mirror that I let them USE.

I never received any money except for the initial $1100, first and last months rent, and when it was all said and done she left owing $9975 in rent and another $716 in water charges. I presented this and the defendant didn't object to it & was presented as evidence along with the water bills!

The only thing I did wrong, was wait almost 2 yrs. To try to get my money. I honestly didn't know that I had a recourse to get my money, I had heard so many people say you can't get blood out of a turnip that I didn't think I could get anything... until this same judge allowed a suit against me for $550 from a guy that had only filled out a rental application and had printed up Tshirts with the buildings address before I said he could have it. And, I didn't rent to him because 5 different people told me he was a drug dealer. This Woke me up to getting what was Rightfully Mine.

There was no money trail, just my documentation... against her word, and the judge left for about 3 min. and came back and said, " I rule in favor of the Defendant". And that is ALL he said.

It was UNBELIEVABLE!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2010, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdsid View Post
    What can you do when a judge takes a defendents word over documented rental charges?
    Hello r:

You can appeal it. The written judgment probably tells you how long you have.

excon

Nov 16, 2010, 09:35 AM
    I realize I can appeal, but I need to address the JUDGE issue. How do I get his actions reviewed by a higher authority?
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2010, 01:34 PM

Hello again, r:

I don't think you quite understand... You don't just appeal... You appeal based on a legal theory. Your legal theory is the judge abused his discretion... You have to write legal arguments. It has to be filed on time, and in the right court.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 01:52 PM

And if this is small claims court, often the judge rules on who he believes more than the other person. And also unless your documentation was signed contracts, and agreements signed by the other person, he may not have believed your argument.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2010, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And if this is small claims court, often the judge rules on who he believes more than the other person.
    Hello again,

The Padre knows...

The judge decides questions of fact & law. You CANNOT appeal questions of fact - only questions of law. In other words, if a judge believed certain testimony was true vs. what somebody else may have testified, (you, for example), that's a question of fact and cannot be appealed.

excon

Nov 17, 2010, 05:15 AM
    So, are you telling me that if the judge Believes LIES... then they become FACT?? So, are you saying that I should have addressed EVERY LIE that she stated?
    Because, the REAL FACTS are DOCUMENTS that I presented, and the defendant didn't dispute and I thought the judge was to make a decision based on FACTS, PROOF... not a LIARS testimony!

Can someone clear this up for me?
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 07:17 AM
    Can someone clear this up for me?
    Hello again, r:

No. We weren't in court. Look.. This is simple.. File for your appeal, and you'll win or you won't. If you lose, you can appeal that decision too.

excon

Nov 17, 2010, 07:49 AM
    Know in Great lawyers here in SC that aren't afraid to take a matter like this and possibly go up against the system?
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Know in Great lawyers here in SC that arent afraid to take a matter like this and possibly go up against the system?
    Hello again, r:

No, I don't... But, lawyers take on the system EVERY DAY. If you have the money, you can find a lawyer.

But, you're asking about a FREE lawyer, aren't you? That ain't going to happen.

excon

Nov 17, 2010, 08:19 AM
    No, I can pay!
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 08:21 AM
    No, I can pay!
    Hello again, r:

Then get on the phone and start shopping.

excon

Nov 17, 2010, 08:23 AM
    What specific type lawyer am I looking for? Just a real estate lawyer or what?
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 08:29 AM
    What specific type lawyer am I looking for? Just a real estate lawyer or what??
    Hello again, r:

Sure. Look in the real estate section. There's got to be hundreds of 'em, unless you live in Monks Corner - ain't nothing around there.

excon

Dec 23, 2010, 05:08 AM
    I know why, because he wants to show me a thing or two. NO, the only evidence presented was what I brought.
    I documented the rental charge because we were trading some work for rent, but only in a discounted fashion. And, the only reason I wasn't real concerned about the collecting on time was that she had added offices, carpet, other things to a vacant 1500 sf building, to suit "her needs as a tax preparer". Yes she paid the first and last months rental up front and then she prepaid me a $1000 the following Jan. for the next 6 months. She moved in on Sept. and then paid the 1000 in Jan. and it was like a false sense of security and I wasn't too worried about the rent and it just got out of hand.

But, no she was able to postpone the original court date because her witness was sick... and then on the new day of court she showed up w/ no witness and NO receipts or anything to back up her lies!

Now, I have started the appeal process and the issues seem to be... I can't file an appeal until I get a Judgment in writing from the case and since I am the Plaintiff I haven't received one. Yet, I have asked and PAID for a Transcript and what they gave me for $20 is in Verbal format, not a pdf. So, this is where I am at right now and I will handle this myself. Any advice?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 23, 2010, 05:16 AM

First, you refer to documentation. But you don't describe the nature of this documentation. I can write a letter describing something that happened, but that's not proof. Its very possible the judge didn't find your documentation credible.

You really need to find an attorney who can examine your evidence, get the court decision and advise on whether an appeal is valid.

Dec 23, 2010, 06:03 AM
    First off, I have 9 rental units in Aiken Co. SC and 4 here in Lexington Co. SC and though I did not enlighten this judge to that FACT I didn't feel I needed to!! I keep a monthly rental income record of the charge and the receipt and when it was all said and done she owed in excess of $11,000 and I reduced the amount to $7450 to keep it in small claims. She had done some work, with the agreement of $2500 in charges to be swapped for rent, that was done by her husband. When the work was done and because I had not been down her throat about collecting the rent money she told me not to worry about the $2500... that I wouldn't have to pay for that! There was no record, contract or witnesses to that conversation. I will take a polygraph test on that one. She had her husband and mexican come help with plumbing issues twice and she presented to the judge that she could conduct business there because I bothered her too much with work I needed done because I was unemployed for the 1st 6 months. Of her lease, just more excuses and lies.. she found another place that was cheaper... a friend of mines place, I intend to ask him what he is charging in rent to verify this FACT. She told me she left because she couldn't keep paying $650 a month when she only used the building 4-5 months. Out of the year.

He took my documentation a month to month record of charges... including a water bill that was in MY NAME that she was to pay her portion! And she had taken/STOLEN a 4x6 Antique Mirror and a custom sledge hammer, he left for @ 2min. And came back and said, I rule in favor of the defendant. And that was ALL, he said!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 23, 2010, 01:52 PM

First, If you are running so many rental properties you should have an attorney on retainer.

Second, you have records of rental charges. Do you have any documentation that she agreed to pay those charges? Documentation has to prove your case. From what I'm hearing it didn't. And, since you were the plaintiff, the burden of proof was on you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

After a short sale takes place, does the lease or rental agreement stay in force? [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a lease agreement for 1 year, the owners sold the house through short sale and served me a 30 day notice to vacate, is my lease agreement still in force?

Dating a man who is not documented [ 7 Answers ]

I'm currently dating a guy who doesn't have his papers and it's putting a strain on him and I. He works at a barbershop off the books and he's does construction here and there. Basically his brother (who lives with him) hogs all the customers at the barbershop and is not willing to split the costs...

Dating someone who is not documented ( illigal in the US) [ 12 Answers ]

Would you date someone who is not documented in the US ( illigal)? He came in to this country 10 years ago to try to make a better life. I have been dating someone who is in this situation and he is very limited in everything. He can only work the jobs that no one else will do ( and gets paid...

View more questions Search