Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohnoeddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 02:45 AM
    My dog keeps waking up and gagging
    At first she was pacing around and trying unsuccessfully to vomit and gagging and licking everything in sight. I was worried it may be bloat, but then her tummy feels soft and she has since calmed down and is laying on the couch trying to sleep. She keeps waking up every oncei n a while and tries to puke and gags. Then she's fine for 20 min. she is responsive and gums are still pink but I don't know what to do for her..
    ohnoeddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 03:14 AM
    UPDATE: after another gagging fit she got up and wanted out so I let her outside. She was immediately playful and had a pee and poo and ran around wagging her tail. I've brought her in and now all she wants to do is go back outside. I heard her fart loudly. Could it have been gas? She seems to be back to her old self but I know dog symptoms can be different from people.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 05:53 AM

Sounds like it could be a blockage of some sort. Keep a close eye on her, if she stops eating and continues to retch, I would contact your vet. Make sure she is having normal bowel movements.

If your dog is gagging non-stop, or on-and-off repeatedly, then you need to take action to figure out the cause of the gagging. More often than not, he has probably got something caught in his throat or esophagus. However, there are some other health problems that can cause dog gagging as well.

Gagging can mean anything from Kennel Cough to Round Worms even Sinunitis.

If your dog is gagging and is exhibiting some of the following signs and symptoms, take him to the vet immediately:
    Coughing
    Nasal discharge for over two days
    Having difficulty opening or closing his mouth
    Having difficulty eating or swallowing
    Constant pawing at the mouth
    Red and swollen gums
    Excessive drooling
    Excessive panting
    Consistent bad breath
    Fever
    Chronic diarrhea or vomiting
    Signs of anxiety and/or lethargy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog keeps gagging and eating grass [ 13 Answers ]

My 2 year old golden retriever keeps gagging as if he needs to vomit but never does. He also will not stop eating grass. I know they usually do this to vomit but he still hasn't vomited. Both problems started 2 days ago... anyone know what's wrong?

My poor dog keeps gagging [ 12 Answers ]

My dog keeps gagging like she trying to cough something up but nothing ever does. We've rubbed her throat & even tried help her when she is gagging but to no avail. And it's not all the time. She will be fine & then she start up. There's no provoking at all. She ate & drank last night. She's 4-5...

My dog has a gagging cough and vomits [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old west highland white terrier and he has recently started this gagging cough. It is starting to happen more frequently but happens very randomly. Sometimes he is sleeping and he wakes up coughing and sometimes it happens on our walks. He is also starting to spit up stuff while...

My dog is gagging [ 5 Answers ]

My dog is gagging like he is trying to spit up somethng and nothing comes up, I s there something I can give him to help...

Dog gagging/renching [ 2 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. My dog is a Kuvasz and he's 11 years old. Just recently he's been making a gagging/renching noise once he finishes taking a drink of water. I brought him to my Vet. And the Doctor felt that because he was getting older his mucus ("like older people mucus" quoted by the...

View more questions Search