Discolored hair on legs and tummy, dark color of tummy, excessive licking
    I have tried flea/tic sprays, shampoo, conditioners,
    tlgrams Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 11:25 PM
    Why is skin discolored and hair
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 05:54 AM

Are you asking why the skin is a different color than your dogs hair?
    Can you please give us some more information?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 05:57 AM

There are a number of things that can cause your dogs skin to discolor, anything from parasites to allergies. If it is fleas, your best bet is to get a treatment from your vet instead of using OTC medications.

Has the dogs skin changed color recently?

If you can provide us with any more information, it will greatly help us in helping you.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Nov 16, 2010, 04:18 PM

tlgrams, the discoloration of the hair & skin comes from your dog's saliva. When a dog licks excessively, the hair will turn a rusty brown color and the skin usually turns red and eventually dark brownish/blackish.

Aurora Bell is right, you need to see your vet if you haven't already done so. Too many baths & over the counter tick/flea sprays are not the solution and usually make the problem worse. I have found when there is excessive licking & discoloration it is usually caused by allergies. But, every dog is different. Please don't give your dog any more topical treatments and take him/her in for an examination. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

What kind of dark mahogany brown hair color is better when it comes to color boxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to dye my hair a redish bronwinsh color and I had already bought a color box from revlon and it was color 32 dark mahagony brown and my naturall hair color is dark brown but when I dyed it it came out darker.. With not much red.. So is there anynother color brand that has more red in it.. I...

Licking off hair on legs and belly [ 0 Answers ]

My female cat has started licking off her hair on legs and her belly. She didn't have any stress, eats like always, everything is the same. Vet gave her amitriptyline (it says so), doesn't want to eat it but I help her with it. But she still licks her legs. And one more thing maybe u can help me...

Well to start my natural hair color is dark brown.. but I dyed my hair black 6 mon [ 1 Answers ]

Well to start my natural hair color is dark brown.. but I dyed my hair black 6 months ago.. before that I had always dyed my hair light colors and had highlighted it couple times... I went to the salon yesterday and highlighted my hair.. hoping to change my hair color from really dark back to...

Urinating in home, and excessive licking [ 2 Answers ]

We have three dogs. 2 boxers 1 male and 1 female, 1 male toy fox. The two male dogs are both fixed, but continue to pee all over the house. We also were given couches from friends that had pets, and they pee on the couches. They have access outside through doggy doors. Don't know what to do. They...

View more questions Search