Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksrmigirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 09:51 PM
    GA legitimation law question
    If a child is born out of wedlock in New Mexico but now lives in GA does the father have to file legitimation papers in GA.
    An acknowledgement of Paternity had been signed at the child's birth in NM. The parents are living together with the child, and are soon to be married. The child is 4 yrs old now.

Karmigirl
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2010, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ksrmigirl View Post
    If a child is born out of wedlock in New Mexico but now lives in GA does the father have to file legitimation papers in GA.
    An acknowledgement of Paternity had been signed at the childs birth in NM. The parents are living together with the child, and are soon to be married. The child is 4 yrs old now.

Karmigirl
    If he signed an acknowledgment of paternity, that means he is the child's legal father. Just because you move from one state to another doesn't void that.

Nov 16, 2010, 09:53 AM
    Comment on this8384's post
    Can you please clarify, Does this mean no legitimation papers have to be filed in the State of Georgia, since New Mexico does not a legitmation law but Georgia does.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2010, 10:04 AM

Quote Originally Posted by krsmigirl
    Can you please clarify, Does this mean no legitimation papers have to be filed in the State of Georgia, since New Mexico does not a legitmation law but Georgia does.
    No. He is already established as the legal father. He doesn't have to keep telling each state that he is. I assume his name is on the birth certificate..

Nov 16, 2010, 02:33 PM
    Yes his name is on the birth certificate and the child has his last name. If you are already listed on the child's birth certificate as the father, but you and the child's mother were not married to each other, you must still file a petition with

Nov 16, 2010, 02:35 PM
    Also the explanation just states that if the parents subseuently marry the child is legal. Old version they needed to marry before the child is 1 year old.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2010, 02:50 PM

Then it's exactly what I posted before - he is already established as the child's legal father. He does not have to keep filing new papers every time you move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is proper service in legitimation in Georgia [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to file a paternity suit in Georgia so that I can get custody rights for my daughter, but the mother will not give me the address where she lives? How can I have her served?

A child is born out of wedlock,legitimation papers are drawn,later we got married [ 10 Answers ]

A child is born out of wedlock,legitimation papers are drawn up to give the father his rights, years later the father and mother get married,wouldn't you know it now we are ng divorced, which papers are now followed?

View more questions Search