Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dash riprock Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 05:15 PM
    Can I be denied pain meds for marijuana use
    Can my doctor deny me pain medication because of marijuana use?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2010, 05:35 PM

That is an interesting question. It is my suspicion that a doctor would be justified in doing so for two reasons: 1) cannabis remains a Schedule I narcotic under federal law, and 2) most authorities will defer to the medical judgment of the treating physician. Therefore even if you reside in a state allowing medical cannabis use, the doctor could still deny on the basis that it is an illegal substance (absent prescription, of course).
    TexanPatriot Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2010, 08:28 PM
    Your doctor can use any criteria he deems necessary to deny you treatment. Health Care is still performed as a business transaction -- and there are only very limited circumstances where a doctor MUST provide a service.

Likely the doctor is concerned with the drug abuse. (Marijuana) Using pain killers with other drugs could be a lethal combination... and he certainly doesn't want to be sued by your estate for malpractice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 08:30 PM

A doctor would prescribe those drugs he feels is needed and would not be effected by other medication or drugs you take.
    So yes, illegal drug use can effect your treatment plan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do pain meds relate to one another? [ 34 Answers ]

Can someone explain in plain terms how different pain medications relate to one another strenghtwise? Specifically, how do Fentanyl, OxyContin and Lortabs relate the following way: 50mcg Fentanyl patch equals how many mg of OxyContin which then equals how many mg hydrocodone? Also, is there any...

Type of meds 2 help kick pain meds. [ 5 Answers ]

I was told there are medications to help kick pain pill addiction. PLEASE if anyone knows the names of them whether meds or a supplement let me know.

Addicted To Pain Meds [ 12 Answers ]

I am a 22 year old stay at home mommy and I am married to a wonderful man! I think that I may be addicted to pain meds... I take 2 ultram EVERYDAY and when I start to run low, I panic and I try and figure out where I am going to get me some more. If I can't get more Ultram, then I try and find...

Pain meds while pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 26 weeks pregnant and my doctor has prescribe vitaril until I have the baby. Is it safe for me and more important for my baby?

Puppy being given pain meds [ 9 Answers ]

My vet is giving my 10 week old puppy pain meds for this and it is past a week. I am wondering if perhaps my stay at home husband is just not wanting to deal with puppy recovery. Is this much pain medication the norm? Thanks for your help;)

View more questions Search