Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bp8me Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2007, 03:13 PM
    US Savings Bond Questions
    I actually have two questions:
    1. My elderly grandmother and uncle (her son) have a joint checking account. Uncle passed away suddenly - no will - no children or wife - no estate - no probate. Almost a year later we found some savings bonds in his name (and his deceased wife of 10 yrs ago) on them. Can they be deposited in my grandmother's account since his name is still on her checking account? Or, what should we do about this?

2. My husband has been purchasing savings bonds for years - before we were married and still purchasing them - but they all have his name on them and no one else. How do we go about adding my name? Or, what would happen to them should he die (with only his name on them)? Thank you!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2007, 07:58 PM
    1) I don't see why not. With no wife or children, your mother would be the heir apparent I would imagine

2) Who does your husband leave it to in his will?

Jan 6, 2007, 07:34 AM
    1. Is this the legal answer regarding bonds in the United States?
    2. My husband does not yet have a will. What would happen if he doesn't have a will?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Ok, on the legal side, since the person died, if no other name is on the bond, an exector needs to be appointed to take over any bank account that is not owned jointly by someone else. To take and give property to the heirs that are suppose to get them, to sell property that needs to be sold.

I am not sure that a bank would accept and allow you to sign a bond over that is not in your name. If they do, it most likely is only because they know you. But if the person is the handing the last affaris and everyone has a "will" if you don't write your own, you are obligated under the laws of the state you are living at when you died.

Take the bonds to the bank and ask them. They will know the laws in your state on them
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bp8me
    2. My husband does not yet have a will. What would happen if he doesn't have a will?
    Why does he not have a will?

Do you have any kids? They might make a claim after he dies.

Maybe his parents will.

That is why a will IS very important.

He should get one.

Jan 6, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Yes, I agree. We have that on our list of things to do asap. My husband doesn't seem to be that concerned about it; however, being through probate with my father's estate was a nightmare! I totally agree. Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it! Happy new year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coupon rate on a bond [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: I have to find the coupon rate on a bond but every formula I find requires the coupon rate to already be configured. How do I work backwards to get what I need? Example problem - Samantha's bonds sell for $1065.15. The bond life is 9 years and the yield to maturity is 7 percent. What...

Savings? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and hope to get some replies. I'm thinking of buying a co-op in NY city. I make about 1000 a week and pay 1000 a mo. In rent, my share, Anyway, what would the cost savings be if any should I buy this apt. The mortgage would be about 1600 a mo. Plus 1000 for fees and taxes...

James bond [ 4 Answers ]

What are the various james bond actors.

View more questions Search