Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coollycat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 11:49 PM
    Meteorology Question Regarding Aircraft and Altitude
    Two aircraft are flying side-by-side at 200 kmlh toward the east at the 4 km level near
    55 N latitude, with a 65 kmlh tailwind from the west. One aircraft has a radar altimeter which measures exact height above the ground, while the other aircraft has a pressure altimeter. They both turn to fly directly northward,maintaining their speed and keeping their altimeters reading 4000 m.

a) Estimate how much (higher? Lower?) the aircraft with the pressure altimeter will be than the other aircraft after 1 hour of northward flight. Show you have checked units.

b) One of the aircraft now descends to land at an airport that is 420 m above sea level.
    The station temperature and pressure are 10 C and 981.4 mb. Estimate the pressure that would be plotted on the surface weather map for this station. Show you have checked units.

c) Near the surface at this airport (57 latitude), the pressure gradient force is 9.2 x 10-4 NI kg. Calculate the spacing (km) between isobars drawn at 4 mb intervals. Show you have checked units.

d) With quite smooth terrain around this airport, the 10 m wind is blowing across the isobars at an angle of only 30 degrees. Estimate the wind speed. (Hint: determine CH from a force diagram.)

Check out some similar questions!

Names of Companies that LEASE Aircrafts(planes) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I so badly need you to help me out with names and websites of Companies that LEASE and SELL planes in the US. I would prefer companies in Massachusetts.But if there is none here,others are welcome. NOTE:ONLY in the US Please. Thank you.

Distance between 2 aircraft [ 1 Answers ]

An air traffic controller observes 2 aircraft on a radar screen. The 1st: altitude is 800 m, horizontal distance is 19.2 km and 25 degrees south of west. The 2nd: altitude is 1100 m, horizontal distance is 17.6 km, and 20 degrees south of west. What's the distance between the two aircraft? How...

Aircraft / reverse gears [ 13 Answers ]

Why are there no reverse gears on aircraft?

Electricity in aircraft [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: One of the characteristiscs of the electric current used in major aircraft is its frequency: 400+/- 10 Hz. What happens if I connect any device that uses 60 Hz like cellphones battery chargersk? Is this bad for the component?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.