Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajpatel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 01:03 PM
    403 b plans
    Hello

I am starting a new phase and I would really appreciate your help.. Just finished my Phd. In cancer biology and joined a cancer research center for a Post-doc.
    I just joined a job and my employer is having a 403 b plan..
    They have feidelity(?) and TIAA/CREEF

Which one is better and what to invest into this...

I am 28 male married with dependent wife
    Indian citizen
    Visa: F-1/OPT ( H1 in 6 months)..
    Pay : 38.5K

I get paid 3200$ per month out of which 150$ goes to HMO + 5% to TRS so annually I have 34,775$ taxable income..

We had been enjoying life on the research assisstanship of 1300$/PM and we will be more than happy to do that.
    How much should I put in the 403 (b) to get into better tax bracket.

Thanks a lot in advance..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
    TIAA/CREF and Fidelity are mutual fund houses. They each have a variety of funds with different goals and investment types. You need to review these finds and their past histories to determine what you want to invest in. At 28, you can investment in higher risk vehicles for long term growth.

You should put in as much into the plan as you can afford. A 403b is the educational industry's equivalent of a 401(k).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401 (a) Plans [ 3 Answers ]

Are there folks out there who have had experience with 401 (a) plans? I'm a trustee and wonder if a 401 (a) wouldn't be better than a 401 (k). Thank you.

What are your plans [ 26 Answers ]

She: what are your plans for this evening? Him: I plan to go to the store and pu one item. She: OK, I will talk to you later. Him: OK, talk to you later. Later... She: did you go to the store? Him: nope She: oh if I would have know that I would have invited you over for dinner. Him: why...

Error 403 [ 7 Answers ]

What the heck? The last couple days I have been getting this error message. I think it says "error 407" just on a blank white page. It happens after I click submit or click on a link from this site. Has it been happening to anyone else? Any ideas?:mad:

We had plans but not now [ 17 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have plans once a week every week. Or, go out together you know alone time. So, my girlfriend calls me. Said her girlfriend has two tickets to concert tonight on our date night. My girlfriend is invited and she wants to go so she tells me she is going and if I'm OK with that....

View more questions Search