Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MAC3000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Phobia
    How is possible to erase a phobia? Specially for dogs.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2010, 01:48 PM

Erasing or extinguishing a phobia generally involves gradually desensitizing the person to the feared object by exposure to same. If you fear dogs, for instance, under controlled circumstances you would exposed to a dog(s), perhaps at first only by photos and discussion, then to contact with an actual dog, etc. This is only one example of course. In general terms it is a process of re-learning.

If you are in a position to obtain professional assistance there are many practitioners that deal with phobias. The process has a high success rate and is therefore rewarding to the phobic as well as the practitioner. If you have further questions in clarification please let us know.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 02:09 PM

I agree with DrBill -- gradual desensitization is probably the only way. Another technique is called "flooding" whereby the person who is afraid surrounds himself for a period with many dogs, say, in a small, closed room. The person will scream and cry and break out in hives, but the theory is that, after doing this probably more than once, he will be cured. (Research has shown that it doesn't work out this way, though.)

What seems to be the difficulty with dogs? Was this person perhaps once scared by a barking or big or too friendly dog?

(Both of my sons grew up scared of dogs, but love cats who don't move real fast and tend to stay in their own space. Dogs, or at least my sons' friends' dogs, moved fast, were yippy, and jumped all over anyone standing near them. My sons hated that, and so hated dogs -- and still do as adults. I would have been smart to adopt a dog from a shelter and add it to our family, but I too grew up without dogs because my parents didn't like dogs. So, in our family, the "no thanks to dogs" thing has come down through the generations.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human phobia [ 1 Answers ]

I don't understand why my schoolmate is afraid of people. She can't trust people around her (not even her parents) and when she goes outside she gets scarred if somebody gives her a little bit deeper look or if she sees a guy (or a group). I can't understand what is happening and I wish I...

Relationship phobia [ 3 Answers ]

I am 33 years old and went through a divorse three years ago that broke my heart. It took me a long time to get over it. In some ways I am still not over it completely. I think about it often. I went through my "healing " phase however after all this time, I find when I am with a man, as...

Commitment Phobia [ 7 Answers ]

First I want to apologize, I know there are quite a few commitment phobia questions but I didn't feel as though I related to any. My situation is very ODD/RARE and I have yet to find someone to relate and I was hoping I could find it here. Let me see if I can get all the details out and then ask my...

Phobia or Not [ 4 Answers ]

Every since I could remember, I have always been grossed out or freaked out by drains. Drains on a tub, sink, jacuzzi, pool. It does not matter, if I touch it I get chills and well in laymen terms just spaz. I can't even take a bath because I am afraid my feet will touch the drain, so I am...

View more questions Search