Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Magritte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 01:37 AM
    Is it still the norm for men to ask a woman out?
    I've asked men out many times, and so far each relationship has ended. Fed up w/ my bad luck, I stopped asking men out.

It has been months, nearly a year and still not a single date. I don't think I'm an eyesore, some consider me "pretty". I just don't understand why men don't ask women out anymore, any insight?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 13, 2010, 05:51 AM
    I'm not sure about the norm nor do I care. I do think there is still a tendency for many men to like to do a certain amount of the chase, part primeval and part social attitudes built on a few thousand years of wanting women to be coy and reticent to assure that they will not stray after being 'won' (or exchanged for some cattle or arranged as a family business merger).
    There are countless ways to ask someone out, and perhaps you have been too blunt. Show interest first, ask all about him, compliment, agree and disagree about ideas and preferences, let him know who you are, and then say hey let's go for a coffee or a walk sometime. Save the night on the town for much later.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 06:34 AM

Men like women are all different so are their likes and dislikes. The only common factor you can control is yourself. Are you closing yourself off without realizing it?

A few factors that can come into play:

What age range are you looking at dating?

Where are you looking for dates?

What else was going on in the relationships where you asked the men out? Was there an age gap, earnings gap, other differences of opinions and Beliefs, etc.

What is your general attitude toward dating? Do you see it as a fun way to get know someone or as putting down a payment on a full relationship?

If you are wanting them to make the first move, are you holding yourself back and maybe not being as out-going as you had been?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 07:15 AM

And men get tired often of asking people out just to be turned down and to have it end.

Part of the issue is often finding the person with the same ideas, opinions, and likes.

So what are you using as a guide to ask a man out, looks, or from things you know about them.

Have you tried on line dating services. Just heard of a free one that was popular, something like "plenty of fish in the sea " dot com I think
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2010, 01:35 PM
    A norm, maybe; a must, definitely not! It is fine for a female to ask a male out. But, you have stopped asking men out because you have had a couple of bad experiences? I am guessing that when a man approaches you now, because of the initial decision that you have made, they might think that you are intimidating. And trust me when I tell you that most man do not have the courage to ask a pretty girl out, so don't doubt your looks, confidence, or self-esteem just because no one is asking you out, just wait for a guy to overcome his fears and court you as he should be doing.

Good Luck,

Javi
    Magritte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 12:05 AM
    Hi,

Thank you all for your advice! Each one provided a difference perspective and reflection. To answer some questions:

Joypulv, great suggestions, thank you!

Cat1864, I think you may have hit the target. I just need to be more open to chance, after all, that's what life is. As for dating, I'm rather ambivalent, it's fun but also taxing.

Fr_Chuck and Cat1864, I have tried online dating, but the whole process seemed... well, dead. I stopped recently, moreover, I would rather leave it up to chance.

MMresd, thanks for the reassurance!

I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Nov 15, 2010, 10:51 AM

As long as you continue to put yourself in a position to meet new people. The more people you meet, the more chances of finding something that you will have more in common with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do men like to hear when a woman is really sorry, or do. [ 5 Answers ]

"I insult a soldier but accidentally, calling him Immature, swise, coward and meaningless. I know I did wrong, so what can I say to him, what do men like to hear when a woman is really sorry, and that the last thing she wanted was to hurt him with her words. " Now, I called him but he hung up on...

Men Only: How many Partners is toomany for a woman? [ 18 Answers ]

My question is this: Men 1. Please tell whether you are single or married and your age 2. What is the number of sexual partners you start to think a woman is "slutty" ? In otherwords what number are you okay with, and what number do you start to think oh my... she's been around I wouldn't...

Men: Did your wife leave you for another woman? [ 2 Answers ]

How does it feel for a man if his wife or long-term girlfriend leaves him for another woman? How did you cope with that? Any advice?

Two men, one woman [ 2 Answers ]

Hello people, I posted a thread before about me being with a guy and I was unsure of whether we were together or not. Well, it turns out that yes, we are finally officially together. Now the problem is that we always end up fighting for stupid reasons and it always seems like it's my fault. It's...

View more questions Search