Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    satch4684 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
    always wear glasses?
    I know its been asked before, and it seems the bottom line is always "if you want to, then wear them all the time, if not, then don't" but I'm just curious to see the responses to my situation.

after a good 10 yrs or so since I last had glasses, finally went back to the vision place and got a pair. At the very beginning after looking at the first chart he projected on the wall he said 'your at about 2200' but I guess that had to be a rough estimate (not that I know what 2200 means anyway). Somehow I wound up with nothing specific on how bad my vision was, and certainly don't remember what the eye doctor said 11yrs ago or whatever it was.

I basically asked him "so what, should I only wear glasses for driving and things like that?", and he said it would make such a big difference that I'll probably want to wear them all the time, but since my up close is pretty good, take them off for working on the computer or reading.

it just seems annoying to carry the stupid case around and constantly take them on and off, especially knowing me I'll wind up scratching or breaking them fast that way. I originally got them just because I knew I wouldn't be able to pass the drivers test without them (when I first moved to FL I passed it by cheating, borrowed my sisters prescription glasses which actually did help my vision a bit, and probably barely made it. The guy hesitated when I had trouble with the last line then
    finally said 'close enough. Slightly ashamed to admit that, lol) but now I'm thinking I might just wear them all the time. The best comparison I can think of is glasses on=like watching HD DVD, glasses off=1983 VHS tape >_<

guess I should just wear them all the time then? I'm also slightly curious, those people you know that you never see without glasses, do they just see nothing but blurs without them? Or are they probably close to vision like mine?

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 12:31 PM

What other people see or can't see depends on their degree of impairment, and type. Me, I'm like you more or less Mine are bad enough I need them for anything past 2 feet. So yeah I wear them all the time. But people with perfect eyes will see just as well as we do with glasses... with the addition of having far better peripheral vision as the glasses are only in front of you.

But yeah... if you KNOW they are near sighted the further the more blurred. But near sighted people are more likely to wear their glasses. We can't see anything at a distance clearly... far sighted people have trouble with just the closer stuff.

I've been wearing mine since I was like 10 years old... I feed odd without them... besides the not seeing anything clearly part.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 03:18 PM

I think you mean 20/200. That means that you see at 20 feet what someone with "perfect vision" can see at 200 feet. That's not great.

Did you get a vision prescription? If so, get it filled. You can wear the glasses all the time. Most doctors will say to take glasses off for close-up work just because you don't need them for that. But I don't. It creates headaches, if you do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you need to wear glasses all the time? [ 34 Answers ]

Ok, this is kind of a secret from my mum, I'm short sighted since for a long time now , and only my dad knows about it since yesterday. I can see things like close up, but stuff like writing on the whiteboard I can't see. (So yeah... I have bad eyes as you can say) So, having this year to be my...

School councelor forces my son to wear glasses [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My son is slightly nearsighted. When they checked him in middle school they started telling him to wear glasses. His doctor told him that he doesn't need glasses for regular things he is doing , only if he can't see something on a blackboard in school. He is sitting on every lesson such...

Should I wear my glasses full time like the optomitrist recommends? [ 5 Answers ]

I just got glasses for the first time the on Thursday and my prescription is low I have myopia and astigmatism in both eyes my one eye is -0.25 myopia and -0.75 astigmatism and the other eye is -0.50 myopia and -0.75 astigmatism and I was told to wear them full time even on the comp even though I...

I need Glasses [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 62 year old full time college student, and I need glasses immediately because I can't see the blackboard even when I sit in the frnt of the class. I can't afford to buy new glasses, and I lost my old ones. How can I get glasses? SonnyFrank

View more questions Search