Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonac66 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 08:00 AM
    Best place to move in Florida for someone 62 yrs old?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 10:45 PM

That depends on a lot of different things Bona.

Your financial situation.

Do you like to live near the ocean or not?

Where family possibly are already located.

Etc.

We live near Chicago however we have a condo in Naples and we love it there. Offers us all we want and more.

Stringer
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2010, 06:24 AM

There are some great prices in the Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach / Merritt Island area.

My parents have a condo there and are thinking of buying another property or two down there because the prices are so low now.

... and the area is nice too.

Nov 13, 2010, 06:30 AM
    Want to move out of NY to FL but still have to work. Anywhere in FL would be OK but I've noticed so many foreclosures. Economy looks bad.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2010, 06:39 AM

Unfortunately, the economy is bad everywhere right now.

Nov 13, 2010, 06:40 AM
    I've noticed a lot of condos and townhomes. Don't really want a house to take care of and I hear the insurance is high because of hurricanes. Will still have to work part time to supplement SSI.

Nov 13, 2010, 06:44 AM
    Rick J ~ Thanks for your answers. The only place I have found that hasn't suffered is Houston TX and surrounding burbs.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2010, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bonac66 View Post
    I've noticed a lot of condos and townhomes. Don't really want a house to take care of and I hear the insurance is high because of hurricanes. Will still have to work part time to supplement SSI.
    You'll find insurance can be better if you are not in a coastal area. Are you wanting to be near the water? There are numerous lakes that can be alternatives to being near the coast. Any specific activities you are involved in?

Are you looking for a 55+ type community? There are many, many that offer a wide variety of community activities. Any health conditions that you would want to be near hospital for? For example, some area hospitals are known for their work with heart patients.

Looking for just general information on any local?

If you don't have an actual region of the state you are particularly interested in, here is just one of many sites to start browsing:

Retirement type living... Retirement Communities in florida
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2010, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bonac66 View Post
    Rick J ~ Thanks for your answers. The only place I have found that hasn't suffered is Houston TX and surrounding burbs.
    I only know a little about FL (as you asked) - so named the area in FL that I am at least a little knowledgeable about. I don't know much about any other areas of the country.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2010, 04:03 PM

I lived in South Florida for 25 years. The only time you can go outside and not be miserable is Nov-Mid May. Otherwise you will need to be in an a/c environment due to the heat and high humiditiy. Florida is nice and all but insurance is high there if you decide (for instance) to buy a mobile home there. The park rent is high also. Would not recommend that. Would recommend an over 55 community unless you like screaming kids. Dogs are frowned on just as much as kids so don't think you can live in a place with more than 1 dog at a time.

Try visiting different areas before you decide to move there permanently. Or just try visiting in the winter and staying there for a winter vacation.

The economy is very bad in Florida and you would not expect to easily find a job as everybody there is out of work essentially.

I wouldn't go back if you paid me a zillion dollars. But that's just me. I like good old stodgy Ohio even though it gets cold. At least I know the economy here is in the dumper with no jobs and I know the cost of living is not out of this world like Florida can be. Water bills are high. Electric is higher than Ohio as well and you definitely need a/c just about all year around to live there. The only plus things about Florida that I can think of is you don't need "winter" clothes or shovel snow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

19 yrs old and is ready to move out is it legal in chicago? [ 5 Answers ]

Well I have the same situation, I'm the oldest (19 years old) right now in the family, I'm always treated like the "maid" my parents leave the house they tell me what to do what to clean, yet they come back see everything done and don't say a thanks, they come back saying you forgot to do this this...

My fence has been in place for 13 yrs, can survey make me move fence? [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited my acreage from family in 1997, therefore never had survey done. My new neighbor that purchased land that borders 2 sides of my land, states that his survery shows my fence is over on his side by 30 ft on one side and 40 ft on the other side. He broke the lock on my gate and entered...

Can health insurance be cancelled yrs later (Florida) if I omitted facts on applicatn [ 5 Answers ]

I have had health insurance with Blue Cross of Florida for 5 years. If I omitted facts on the initial application, can this policy be cancelled even after 5 years? I thought I was protected by ERISA regulations after 2 years, but lawyer friend told me this may not be so.

Child 17 yrs of age in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

What is a parents legal rights to a teenager wanting to stay in FLA while I move back to my home state? My teenage daughter wants to live on her own but does not want to emancipate herself due to the fact she will lose her fathers health insurance coverage. I am leaving to move back home next...

View more questions Search