Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kcarro9021 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
    BSOD on startup
    My acer with Vista has a bsod on startup declaring 20 something viruses. Sometimes it starts normal and sometime it asks for a username and password when I have no password set up on my username. Where do I start?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 11, 2010, 11:31 PM
    Honestly, boot to safe mode, back up your data and nuke it.
    Reinstall the OS from the ground up.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 02:21 AM

Are you able to start in safe-mode?

Do you have an AV installed?

Before "nuking" I always like to try everything else. If both answers to the above questions are yes, then try running your AV in safe-mode and see if this fixes your issue.
    BossMan

Nov 12, 2010, 02:29 AM
    Vista + BSoD = Normally TERMINAL ;)
    Networking Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 02:56 AM

Are you a Vista hater or is this from experience? :D
    BossMan

Nov 12, 2010, 03:08 AM
    Both..

Clean installed on my laptop and it terminally BSoD after 24 hours.
    Win7 on the other hand, been running since it was released with no issues..
    Networking Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 08:38 AM

I agree. Iam not a fan of Vista either but I would still try. I'm not against your answer by any means, just saying Id try this first if it were me.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 08:44 AM
    Getting in Safe Mode and running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes sometimes solves it. Doing a Repair from the Vista boot CD can solved it as well but only after the viruses are removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows xp pro bsod code 0x000000F4? What does this mean? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My computer started doing some strange things recently. It, at first, told me the memory couldn't be "written" or "referenced" and now when I try to start it normally it goes straight to the BCOD, referencing the above-mentioned code with these codes in parentheses: 0x00000003 0x86237020...

Bsod - win xp sp3 [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, I have two very serious problems on my Toshiba, Satellite M45 laptop running Win XP Home - SP3. A) Problem one is being taken care of by Toshiba. The AC to DC transformer caox cable to the PC frayed open and shorted the power to the shield. Battery went dead, the insulation on...

Help Bsod! [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new game on my computer and didn't restart it. While I was playing it froze. And I had to restart my computer by holding the power button. Now ever time I try to start my computer it gives me the BSOD I've tried safe mode and "restart with last known good configeration" please help...

Startup [ 5 Answers ]

It Takes 3 Minutes For My Computer To Start Up. I Believe It's Because I Have Too Many Start-ups In The Bottom Right Of My Screen. How Do I Know Which Of These I Can Remove,and How Do I Remove Them??

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search