Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soundview Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 05:33 PM
    Neighbor planted fast growing hedge causing loss of my puget sound view.
    My home is a 1946 small home with it only attraction is the view. 3 yrs ago the neighbor planted some cyprus type trees in a hedge form along our fence. At first they were 6 feet just above the fence. Now they are 10 to 14ft causing complete loss of our puget sound view. I have talked to him several times and he has made it a point to trim them to this exact height so we could not see them on their new deck they built above the garage.We purchased the home 3 yrs ago. They purchased 5 yrs ago.
    Our home is about 15ft above their home on a slope at an angle, So looking at the sound we are looking straight at them from the back of our home. Nothing to do for privacy except for them to grow this dam hedge.
    Looking for legal ideas?
    Note: neighbor is a young arrogant ***. That owns a landscaping business.
    Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2010, 07:32 PM

If they are on his property, and do not violate any zoning, he can legally plant them.

You may try to ask, if he will not offer to pay for him to keep them trimmed,
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 11, 2010, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by soundview View Post
    ... he has made it a point to trim them to this exact height so we could not see them on thier new deck they built above the garage ...
    Did he get all required permits for this deck?
    soundview Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Not sure on the deck permits yet? I'm having problems finding any zoning issues with the height? Already asked on the help of trimming. They are less than 10 inches from my fence and I'm sure over time it will cause damage to the fence. One attorney told me $1500 letter and it would be trimmed to the original height? But so far I see now Laws or records that would back that.
    Thanks Soundview
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 14, 2010, 12:40 PM
    Not sure on the deck permits yet? I'm having problems finding any zoning issues with the height?
    Contact your zoning office tomorrow morning and ask them. I think this is your best chance.

Already asked on the help of trimming. They are less than 10 inches from my fence and i'm sure over time it will cause damage to the fence.
    In the absence of a zoning restriction or permit violation, and unless you have an easement protecting your view, I don't think you have a case. But there could be Washington state law of which I am unaware. Did the attorney you consulted suggest that there is?

One attorney told me $1500 letter and it would be trimmed to the original height? But so far I see now Laws or records that would back that.
    Thanks Soundview
    The attorney wants a lot of money in order to write a demand letter. Especially if there is no law on your side. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor spreading non truths and causing my neighborhood to be uncomfortable. [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a neighbor where all the middle and high school kids come and hang out/play at my house with my children. We don't smoke or do drugs at all but one mom is insisting we are dealing drugs and prostituting out my 13 yr old. She is super religious and dislikes us because we have tattoos and...

Territorial View Blocked by Growing Fruit Trees [ 3 Answers ]

My beautiful 20+ year view is now being blocked by some fruit trees that new home owners are permitting to grow too tall. The trees have historically been trimmed to about ten to fifteen feet in height and were planted by previously home owners several years after I purchased my home. The past...

What is causing pressure loss [ 1 Answers ]

One of my showers has started to malfunction as of late. I have great pressure when tub is filling and when shower is engaged. (Initially) After the shower runs for a minute or so, the pressure from shower head drops dramatically. You can hear the water pressure change by the noise it makes. ...

Neighbor Trees Eliminating View [ 5 Answers ]

My property in a slight hillside allowing me a wonderful view of the expansive ridge directly in the backyard of my home. My neighbors in the back are a bit below me in that I cannot easily see much except their roofs. Birds have planted trees on my neighbor's property and they are taking away...

View more questions Search