Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    western50 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 06:33 PM
    thermodynamics
    What are the changes in free energy, enthalpy and entropy and the sign of work for the following process carried out at 100.8o C. The boiling point of HCOOH is 100.8o C. (-, +, or 0)

HCOOH (g) → HCOOH (l)

I knew that change in enthalpy and change in entropy is both zero because the calculation between T final and T initial from their equations make it to zero. But what about change in free energy and work? Please explain to me because I don't quite get how to decide if it has positive or negative value!

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2010, 11:53 PM

+ve value denotes an endothermic reaction, where the substance absorbs energy.

-ve value denotes an exothermic reaction, where the substance releases energy.

Work can be quite difficult to deduce the way you posted the question...
    work done ON the substance is +ve.
    work done BY the substance is -ve.

I'm not used to free energy, but from what I understand, is the energy that you can extract from the substance.

One simple fact to think about. You cooled the gaseous methanoic acid to liquid. Since you cooled it, it should have less energy, and hence, the free energy will be less. Hence I would say free energy change is -ve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermodynamics cp>cv [ 2 Answers ]

Why Cp>Cv

Law of thermodynamics [ 9 Answers ]

The pressure in an ideal gas cut in half slowly, while being kept in a container with rigid walls. In the process, 26j kj of heat left the gas. A.how much work was done during this process? B.what is the change in internal energy of the gas during this process? Oh sorry. Its half slowly not...

Thermodynamics [ 6 Answers ]

Why is the Cp value of any gas always greater than the Cv value?I don't want the mathematical proof from the formula Cp-Cv=R... I want the physical interpretation

View more questions Search