Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ASP0487 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 11:47 AM
    $401K distribution's after retiring
    I plan on retiring at the end of the year and I will be 63 years old. I plan on making a $1000 per month withdraw from my 401 to help offset my social security payments. I know the withdraws are subject to federal and state taxes, but are they subject to medicare taxes? I know they should be free from social security taxes that are based on wages.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 10, 2010, 12:13 PM

No - 401(k) and IRA withdrawals are not subject to medicare or FICA taxes. You may not realize it but you actually paid medicare and FICA on your 401(K) contributions when you were employed. And so far at least we do not pay these taxes on investment income. However, come 2013 under Obamacare we will start having to pay Medicare on investment income if your AGI exceeds $250K - but I have not heard specifically whether that will apply to the tax-deferred earnings in a 401(k) or IRA.

**EDIT** Here's a site that says that income from qualified retirement plans (such as a 401(k) or IRA) will NOT be subject to the new 3.8% Medicare tax: http://www.nixonpeabody.com/services...ID=3252&SID=53

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retiring soon.cashing out 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I'm retiring in January 2010 and want to cash out my 401K in a lump sum to pay off credit card debt to free up the money I would normally pay out on the credit cards monthly. I do not need monthly income from the 401k. I am aware of the taxes due. Once I retire, am I able to take out the entire...

Retiring to usa [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to live in usa and work I have a poor usa citizen that I will marry but I need to buy a home and get a green card to remain in the usa Please help as I'm desperate to get to her before dec09 Thank you for your help

Bankrupty and retiring [ 6 Answers ]

:confused:I live in Ohio, as 2009 we will have to file bankrupty. My husband income is to high now and he will be without a job until employment comes in and he will then drawing it. He is 57yrs old. He will get his six weeks of vacation which will be 5500. And 20,000 dure to them doing away with...

View more questions Search