Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdvido Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Kentucky/Section 8/Expired Lease
    My sister has MS and is on section 8 in Kentucky. Her lease expired September 30th and it is now November 9th and she has not moved out yet. The landlord has told her since early this year they would not be renewing the lease and that they would be selling the house when the lease was up. They have told her and told her she needs to figure something out and move as they have a interested buyer. They finally gave her a final warning to be out by the end of next week. Can someone tell me what legal grounds to expect from the landlord when they do take action and what type of time frame she would be looking at when they do.

She believes that they have to serve her with 30 days notice to get out and that they will have to file with the courts and that it will take a few weeks to even get a court date to evict her. In her eyes this gives her time to count on as she tries to find a place... which she is dragging her feet on as well. I don't know the laws on such things or how they may apply in a section 8 case. All I know is her lease through section 8 was up Sept 30th and its now going on the second week of November and the landlords have had enough.

Can anyone tell me what to expect when the landlord takes action and what kind of time line she will have once they do take action. I know this is going to fall back in my lap as she waits until the last minute so guess I am asking for a heads up here.

Any help appreciated
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2010, 02:53 PM

He should be filing formal eviction paperwork with a lawsuit to evict her. Just "telling her she has to leave" is insufficient.

In the meantime she needs to make tracks to find another place to live NOW. The landlord just may decide to sue her for the month of October and November rent also since this was not paid for by the government.

Has that topic been addressed by the landlord yet as to how he intends to proceed? He just may be a "nice" guy and not go after her for the Oct and Nov rent but just wants her out as soon as possible.
    tdvido Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2010, 03:06 PM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    She did get section 8 to extend payment for oct and now is waiting for a response from them on November.. so far no response yet. She has not even packed one box yet and she is somewhat of a hoarder. All I can do is pray God help me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deposit check cashed but never met me to look over lease.(Kentucky) [ 3 Answers ]

I wrote a check for a deposit on a rental house here in kentucky; then the owner says she will meet me the next day with a lease because she doesn't have one with her... I tried calling her for the next 4 days at her home and cell leaving messages for her to please call me back; I didn't want to...

Laws for eviction in Kentucky without a lease agreement [ 1 Answers ]

My small children who are ages 6 and 3 and my husband who is disabled, have been staying in a basement that was provided by a church. Now the have come in a given us a 10 day notice to vacate which will be up on the 15th. We have no where to go and it is way to cold to have my children on the...

Lease termination before lease expired due to job loss [ 5 Answers ]

I hope someone can answer this question for me. I had a lease for 8 months in St Louis (MO) however I stayed for 4 months now due to economic condition under cost cutting my job loosed (I was contact employee) I did not got any payment to close my lease agreements and I don’t have any support to...

Expired lease [ 3 Answers ]

I signed a lease for 1 year beginning June 1, 2005. I have been living here for the last 3 years without a current signed lease. I plan on giving 30 days notice on August 1st. Can he try to hold me to a lease being that I don't have a current signed one by saying I have an assumed one? Is he...

Kentucky Law: Breaking a lease! [ 5 Answers ]

I got a job out of the state of Kentucky and I want to know,if by law I have a right to break the lease without any legal problems?

View more questions Search