Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariannelisa Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 10:45 PM
    Moving Main Electrical Panel
    Hello All You Very Helpful People
    I Am Wanting To Move My Main Electrical Panel Literally Around A Corner Less Than 1' Away
    Any Suggestions?
    Thanks
    Marianne
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2007, 03:29 AM
    Unless you proficient with working with wiring, best to call in an electrician to move this, since any branch circuitry that is too short will need to be extended, using junction boxes as required, and the main incoming raceway and wiring will most likely need to be extended also, thou if there is the conduit it can be added to, but the wiring will need to be replaced entirely from the meter to the panel.

Since the main lines are live until the meter is removed, the utility may need to be contacted to remove the meter to allow this work to be done safely. Some utilities may allow the electrician to cut the seal, remove, and replace the meter, but certainly not allow an unqualified person to do this, as the LINE side of the meter socket is live at all times, unless the wiring at the pole/transformer is disconnected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical panel [ 2 Answers ]

Please give me details of electrical panels-forms1,2,3 as per british standards

Feeder line from main panel [ 5 Answers ]

I want to run a feeder line from one building to another in a 2 in. underground conduit.about 100 ft. run what size alum. Wire will I need for 125 amp sub panel

Main Service Panel needs [ 9 Answers ]

I ran across this site accidentally today and found someone who had many of the same issues I need help with. Most of my questions were answered reading the forum however I have one more, using the following information I am hoping someone can help. The existing house is apx. 2300 sq ft w/a 200...

Sub Panel with a main in Position 2,4, 6 [ 2 Answers ]

My question concerns panel boards where the main breaker takes up two or three positions on the panel board. If I use a main in position 2,4,6 the corresponding positions 1,3,5 have to be left blank according to code.

How do I relocate a main service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to move my main service panel about 20 feet. All of the branch feeder wires need to be longer to reach the new box. How do I extend them?

View more questions Search