Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carpenterb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 10:15 PM
    How do I partition and clone the recovery partition only
    I want to upgrade a 160GB Laptop hard drive with a 500GB new drive. I want to partion it so the recovery partition (Drive D) is the same size (or as close as possible) as the recovery partition on the old one. The old one 10.8GB capacity (11,685,326,848 bytes) and the remainder of the drive I want to be the largest capacity for C. How do I do this?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2010, 07:24 AM
    First off, before you do anything, create backups of your important files from the original hard drive. This is very important.

Okay, there are a couple of options. One is to use third party software to basically create a backup image of the recovery partition and then when installing your operating system on the new hard drive it will take you through partitioning the hard drive. Usually you can do this by choosing the disc and then choosing advanced options. The exact steps depend on the operating system, but for the most part you just enter the values for the partition you wish to create. Just create the partition for your OS, but minus the 10.8GB partition for the recovery.

Once your OS is installed, you should be able to use the third party software to reload the backup image of the recovery partition. Just keep in mind that when you make this backup image, it will probably take a few blank DVDs.

Ghost by Symantec is probably the most well known image backup software.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 11, 2010, 07:33 AM
    Acronis True Image can accomplish this task for you.
    Using the advanced clone options you can specify the sizes of the new partitions that you clone from the old drive.

I used the simple settings to move from 100 Gb HDD to 320 Gb and it kept the current partitions in the same ratio as on the old 100 Gb disc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows recovery? Can I create a recovery partition? [ 4 Answers ]

I had to fix a computer for a friend. He got viruses on the computer and I have to do a destructive wipe and completely reinstall a fresh copy of windows. This is not the first time it happened and I am looking for a way to cut down the time it takes to fix this thing when it happens again in...

Create a recovery partition [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I had a ghost program... early version, can't remember which one... anyways.. I created a back up recovery disc... where as when you reboot your system ghost would install your back the way you have set it.. My question is.. how do I go about recovery from the partioned hd?. eg select...

Partition or not? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maxtor hard drive with 41 GB of free space and 16GB of used space.It never really differs from this. Should I compress the drive which is a option in the Properties folder for the drive or partition and if so how? Thanks

Creating one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:- C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive) I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\ E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not...

View more questions Search