Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonathan8 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2010, 08:49 PM
    Security deposit
    Manager won't release my security deposit because other roommates are still in apartment. Lease is over LL says can't write me a check because security deposit made by 3 of us in cash.

Do I have right to claim in small claims. If so so I take LL or company she works for.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 8, 2010, 10:15 PM
    Unless you had separate leases, the landlord doesn't have to return the security deposit until all of you vacate. It has nothing to do with paying in cash. You should get your share back from the others, or your replacement if there was one.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 02:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan8 View Post
    ... Do I have right to claim in small claims. If so so I take LL or company she works for.
    You take the person you signed the lease with to court. Management company or owner of the premises, whichever. Or sue both.

When all are out, if it were me, I would write a check to all three of you, and let you sort it out.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 06:48 AM
    You sue the landlord AND the roommates. The judge will decide who is responsible for returning your deposit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit: Am I entitled to the full security deposits based on the following [ 5 Answers ]

Can a NY landlord, claim charges for the following: 1. cleaning an apartment myself? 2. an extra dog kept without landlord's permission 3. companion that lived for two months in the apartment without the landlord's permission.

My Landloed has not provided a certificate of deposit for security deposit [ 3 Answers ]

I have requested several times,verbally, a receipt for an escrow account for my 2100 dollar security deposit. The landlord has not complied and I feel he has spent the money. I called him on several occasions which finally he picked up the phone. I told him to figure on picking up the rent...

Security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

MY brother rented a room in a house that I own in California, it was a month to month, and he took a security deposit of 300.(but he didn't have sign a contract), she called me and I told that we were to give a 30days notice if we wanted her out and she was to give a 30days to move out.During the...

Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

My lease was up on July 31, 2007 - I signed a new lease - month to month - After signing the new lease, my landlord is requesting another security deposit. She still has my original security deposit. She wants to do an inspection of the premises and if there is something broken, she will deduct...

View more questions Search