Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Merlot58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 05:08 PM
    Jonh Deere LT160 Problem?
    I have a John Deere LT160 with the Kohler CV460S 16.5hp engine. It was running fine and then while cutting the lawn it started to hiccup and backfire and then it lost some of it's power. It ran a short time at maybe half power before quitting altogether. Here is what I did:
    1. Compression check- 85psi.
    2. Fuel pump OK, pumping fuel.
    3. Spark tests OK at my light tester. Spark at plug not blue, it was red/orange but seemed strong.
    4. Sprayed starting fluid into carb when attempting to crank.
    5. Engine oil about 1/2 quart or slightly more on the low side. Brought the level to the acceptable range.
    6. Air filter was relatively dirty. Cleaned it .
    Still will not start?
    Took it to a small engine guy and he confirmed all of my tests. He was puzzled that it would not crank also.
    He said that he would clean the carb but did not put much faith that that would solve the problem since he too tried the starting fluid. He did admit that he is not familiar with the "newer" engines since he is an older guy that is retired. He said that maybe there was something in the John Deere wiring /electrical that he might not know about but still felt that given the engine has fuel and fire it should start.

Any of you have any ideas as to what may be going on here?
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2010, 10:15 PM

Check your flywheel key .
    samthepieguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
    Check to see if the valves are working right I had that problem and it did the same thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere LT160 won't start [ 16 Answers ]

My friend has a 2004 model John Deere LT160 Lawn tractor, it's got 206.* hours on it right now. We used it Thursday night, and it worked great for us. Last night when we tried to use it again, it just wouldn't start. It's got a Kohler 16hp motor in it, and the problem is like this. It'll crank and...

Fix timing on LT160 Deere, how? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a JD LT 160 that I believe the timing has been disturbed by a backfire. It runs but is rough and has little power. When I engage the deck it almost dies with power loss. Where can I find a manual that shows how to adjust timing?

John deere LT160 fuel pump. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a john deere LT160 mower. I replaced the fuel pump but it does not seem to be pumping as I crank the engine. It acts as though the actuator arm on the pump is not engaging inside the engine. I have tried to find exploded views of the engine with no luck. What drives the pump? Is it the...

John Deere LT160 not charging [ 1 Answers ]

Re John Deere LT 160 with Kohler engine. Is there an alternator ? Where is it? My lawn tractor does not charge the battery.

Deere LT160 Fuel Line replacement? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace the fuel line from gas tank to fuel filter on my LT160, but Can't figure out how to get to the line connection at the tank. Can you Folks help me with this. Thanks, Shallman

View more questions Search