Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robynrar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 03:52 PM
    Eviction
    I have tenants with a month-to-month lease. The husband moved out and still residing are his wife and daughter. They have not paid all of Sept, any of October or November's which is due on the first.

I have filed eviction and we have a court date coming up. They are habitually late and I am interested in selling the house.

If they show up in court with the full amount due + court costs (can I ask for this as well as the fee I paid for special civil court) and I accept the money do they stay? How do I get them out. I have sent a notice giving them 30 days to vacate, but they did not comply.

Isn't the fact that one of the parties on the lease left the premises and they are so far behind in the rent good cause to have them evicted?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2010, 04:12 PM

It depends on the notice you gave. If you gave a pay or quit notice, then no, they do get to stay. If you gave them a termination notice, then they you should get an eviction order, even if they do pay.

Nov 8, 2010, 04:18 PM

I sent them a letter that due to the frequency of habitual late payments and a change in personal circumstances in which only one of them was residing at the premises I was giving them notice as per the contract to vacate by October 31st. This letter was sent in September, at least 30 days prior. The thirty-days notice is also written into the contract which was originally a 6 month contract then after six months went to a month-to-month contract.

Nov 8, 2010, 04:21 PM

Then paying won't allow them to stay. The judge should issue you an eviction order.

Nov 8, 2010, 05:29 PM

I hope so. I have had a few people tell me that because there is a child involved that the judge will not put them out. This is very frustrating. I also filed a civil law suit. The amount they owe is over $3000.00 so I filed in Special Civil Part. I filed against both of them. I'm not sure if I will be successful at collecting a judgment.
    ivanh Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Nov 8, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Comment on robynrar's post
    Yea the judge will be lenient with the kids but he will recognize(usually) that at least you were somewhat patient as well. Don't mention you want to sell however. . In Illinois we have to give legal "5-Day Notice" or we're screwed.

Nov 8, 2010, 06:34 PM

Ivanh Comment on robynrar's post
    Yea the judge will be lenient with the kids but he will recognize(usually) that at least you were somewhat patient as well. Don't mention you want to sell however. . In Illinois we have to give legal "5-Day Notice" or we're screwed.

A judge may want to be lenient but also has to adhere to the law. The OP gave legal notice and gave more time then he had to. Most landlords would serve a pay or quit after one day late.

A landlord must give proper notice just about everywhere otherwise they can get in trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Possible eviction? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been renting from my home for 5 months. We have a 1 year lease. My landlord called and told me that the homeowner will be coming into town to check on us because a neighbor told him we were smoking in the house. We have never smoked in this house, much less in the home we used to own. ...

Eviction in WA [ 4 Answers ]

I was served a eviction notice from the court but the landlord neve gave me a 20 day notice and my brother was the one that took the eviction notice from the server does that count

Eviction in SC [ 1 Answers ]

I was jts evicted without notice no written document--I was wondering if I was suppose to get 30 days notice even though all the landlord and myself had was a verbal agreement. I was told to get out of her house and was not able to properly collect my things. I am confussed and I feel I like I...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

View more questions Search