Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bendleton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 09:54 AM
    can we call the police on this guy?
    I flooded my engine for my VW golf and while we were getting that fixed through insurance we decided to rebuild the transmission because it had a small clicking sound. My dad's friend from work used to work for an Audi VW dealership fixing trans so we thought he could fix and rebuild it pretty easily and that was his thought too. He started on it and we gave him money to get a rebuild kit and a new rear gear to fix the broken one. It seemed everything was going good and he would have it done but the last time he called he said it accidentally chipped the 5th gear so my dad gave him the money to get a new one so he could finish and that was the last thing he had to do. Then when my dad talk to him next he said he was having back surgery in a few weeks and might not beable to work on it. And when he hadn't call for those few weeks and my dad couldn't get a hold of him ( a bunch of answering machines and messages left with his family). Dad went to his house and found his place empty and the guy had moved. At the moment were still giving him the benefit of the doubt since my dad had back surgery and had to tell a lot of his client the bad news about not working on their cars for awhile. All we want is it finish or get it back a box of parts so we can find some one else to put it together. The cheapest I can find a used transmission online for is $560 and the average is around $1000. So using that as the value of my transmission he has plus the cash we forked over for the parts and rebuild can we charge him with a crime. My dad says that since it was verbal agreement we can't do anything. If anything I just want my transmission back.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 8, 2010, 02:19 PM

This is a civil case, not a criminal one. You can sue the person in small claims court for the value of the parts he has of yours plus the money you dad paid him. The fact that there was no written contract isn't helpful, but does not preclude you from filing suit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2010, 08:28 PM

Actually if he took the money with no intent to ever do the work, it is criminal also. I pressed charges on a contractor just two weeks ago personally who I gave a deposit check to, and they skipped town with the money.

The main issue will be if intent to do fraud is present. So proving that it was just not a bad business deal, but a fraud

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will the police still call my parents? [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, so I did one stupid act, which is probably the bigger mistake of my life so far. I shoplifted a friend at a supermarket and we got caught. I am 16 and my friend is 15. What happened was the officer let us off with a warning, and we are banned from the place we took from for 6 months. The thing...

Sci fi show with a guy and a girl sort of a police station guy, dwarf always fighting [ 2 Answers ]

Sci-fi TV show series on 1ce a week it was an agency like the police guy and dwarf always fighting on the floor rolling young alburn headed gal captain always grumpy

Do I call police if I think I hit a car [ 2 Answers ]

I turned right out of a parking lot into a busy street. I miss calculated and the car in the next lane swerved. At first they kept going in their lane, then they started following me. I just thought they were being nasty so I kept going. Should I call the police to see if they filed a report or...

Was I wrong to call the police on my son? [ 7 Answers ]

I am the divorced mother of a 19 year-old son. When he becomes enraged, he shouts vulgar profanity at the top of his lungs. I have repeatedly told him that shouting and the use of loud profanity is unacceptable in my house. During one argument several months ago, I told him if he did this again,...

Threatens to call police [ 8 Answers ]

I am a good mother, and I have proofs that I am. But my husband threatens me that he will call police. Because he wants divorce and want the custody of the baby , so. How should I tackel this if he calls the police. Also after divorce who gets the baby? My baby is 5 months old.

View more questions Search