Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1redcairo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Deceased bills
    My mom is dying and has outstanding bills. She lives in a house that my sister and brother-in-law own. She is named on the mortgage but not on the deed. Will my sister and brother-in-law have to pay all her out standing bills if they are not named on them? i.e. electrical, water, gas, phone, credit cards and any other bills that she may have. Also they will continue to pay the mortgage, correct?

Thank you,
    1redcairo
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Who ever is the exector of her estate, will have to sell anything she may own, car and the such, take the money she has in the bank, what ever it is,

And pay all outstanding bills first. Since she does not own the home and is not on the deed it is not effected.

So after all the money is gone, they send the bills back and tell them that the person is deceased and that there is no money left to pay any bills.

You may have to send them a copy of the death certificate,
    And at worst, they turn it over to a collection agency who calls and find out she really is dead.

It has been a year now ( year yesterday) that my dad died, I stll have two companies that write me every few weeks with a bill, I stopped answering them at this point and throw them out. So they report my dead father as having a late payment ?

And yes since it is there mortgage, they will continue to pay it.

** based on my experience with my dad, under what we did in Missouri
    1redcairo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1redcairo
    My mom is dying and has outstanding bills. She lives in a house that my sister and brother-in-law own. She is named on the mortgage but not on the deed. Will my sister and brother-in-law have to pay all her out standing bills if they are not named on them? ie, electrical, water, gas, phone, credit cards and any other bills that she may have. Also they will continue to pay the mortgage, correct?

Thank you,
    1redcairo
    Thank you for you help in this matter

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bills. [ 7 Answers ]

Wow, I did not think it was possible or so easy. I have seen it on other shows done, but have not done it myself. I just decided to call up a company I deal with for my cable, internet and phone. My contract was up and I said That I was been offered a certain price a lot lower then them with a...

Utility bills [ 1 Answers ]

Can you iclude electric gas

Help with bills [ 5 Answers ]

I am not employed as of now, I lost my job due to car issues. I was at that job for around a year, it was graveyard shift and bus was not running that late could not get a ride that far. I have a daughter and I need money to help with my electric that is going to be cut off and help with rent or me...

Who pays deceased dad's bills [ 3 Answers ]

I have been taking care of someone for sometime now because of health reasons. I have a written and notarized agreement between myself and this party. If he should pass on, would his heirs be liable to pay me or would I have to go to court. If so, please advise how to proceed. IL resident

Hospital bills [ 5 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined My hubby suffered a heart attack in August, 04. We had health insurance but our hospital co-pay is 4 grand. We never received a bill from the hospital. In the winter we lost our heat for 4 days and became sick & a very mean, ignorant young lady from a collection...

View more questions Search