Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 10:18 PM
    Uploading website to a domain
    A friend has asked me to create a new website for her.
    She has given me the username and password for her domain.

Is there an easy way to download her old page to my computer so I can use the photos and information? Or would it be easier to just copy it the old fashioned way (right click and copy/save)?

Also how do I upload the new page once it's done, it has been years since I have used an FTP program, are there any good tutorial sites anyone knows of?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2010, 05:14 AM

A domain is simply a logical name applied to an IP address for a WEB server. Files are generally transferred to and from that WEB server using FTP. There are loads of FTP clients out there. I use FireFTP that plugs into FireFox.

You need to get instructions from her host service as to how to connect to her area of their WEB server to transfer files.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2010, 05:40 AM
    Hi Shaz,

To save her current pages(s) try any of these: Best Free Web Site Ripper
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2010, 08:26 PM

Thanks Scott and NK, very helpful, I have had a poke around the host site and it was less than helpful, they do have a 24 hour support number though so I will be calling that once it's time to upload, thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2010, 08:11 AM

Ok, so the website is finished now and I downloaded FireFTP.

It won't connect.

I called technical support and they told me what I needed to type in but after about 30 seconds it just keeps saying unable to connect.

I have tried the ftp.domain.com and www.domain.com addresses, even tried the IP.

Any ideas? I want to avoid calling tech support again because the guy was just plain rude.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 11, 2010, 08:13 AM

We had to pay for ours, but I LOVE www.ipage.com... their support is fantabulistic!!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 11, 2010, 08:14 AM
    I've had a look see as well J, looks good, although it's all foreign to me ;)
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2010, 08:18 AM

Thanks J, I'll file that one away for future reference!

The lady I made the site for has had her old one up for years and she has pre-paid for the hosting until 2013 so I'm stuck with this one.

This is the one she is with: Web Hosting, Domain Name Registration and more :: MD Web Hosting
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2010, 09:52 AM

I did it! Finally!

Hidden in the depths of the site there was a simple uploader. Had to do each file manually but hey, it worked!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uploading data to my website [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to upload data from an external storage device on to specific web pages of my website.

Connecting domain name to website. [ 16 Answers ]

I'm a computer newbie and I need help. I purchased a domain name and I'm not sure how to connect it to my website. I don't know what any of the computer/tech lingo means and it gets pretty confusing when they throw letters at you. (DNS, IP, HTML, DDS etc.. ) Is there a simple explanation? Do I...

I already have a domain name now I need a website [ 23 Answers ]

Hi how are you guys doing? I already have a domain name now I need a website.. I bought a domain name yesterday.. I was trying to build my website from where I got my domain at.. well it is to complicated.. and it looks like it is for business only.. I am trying to make a website about missing...

Uploading documents & images on to website with editor [ 1 Answers ]

My website was designed by a 3rd party who provided an onsite editor. Each time, I try to up load a document or image from my computer, a prompt appears advising me the mht or htm format is not acceptable. My questions are: How to bypass the editor and copy and paste banners, docs, images directly...

Uploading website with banners formatted on html [ 1 Answers ]

I want to upload a few banners formatted on html. But my website BookEnterprise.com does not accept html, and accepts only gif and jpeg format. Each time, I try to upload a pricutre from my computer files on to my website, the editor installed on the website prompts me 'html format is invalid'....

View more questions Search