Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbiesam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 12:22 PM
    Deposit check cashed but never met me to look over lease.(Kentucky)
    I wrote a check for a deposit on a rental house here in kentucky; then the owner says she will meet me the next day with a lease because she doesn't have one with her... I tried calling her for the next 4 days at her home and cell leaving messages for her to please call me back; I didn't want to rent a house before seeing the lease to make sure it was acceptable. She also starting adding things (work on the house she wanted me to do; but I am on disability). Long story short she cashed the check before ever letting me see a lease. She also wanted more money for rent on the house although the house was not even ready and she couldn't give me a date on when the men working on the house would be finished. I asked for my money back and she said No. What do I do for recourse?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 12:35 PM

Contact an attorney and ask him to inform the landlord you plan to sue for treble damages
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 01:35 PM

You issue and problem is that you gave them the money without any signed documents, and basically entered into a verbal contract for rental.

Lesson learned never give them a penny unless you first have, reviewed and signed the lease or any contract. Then and only then do you give them the money.

You can sue for the money back because the owner has refused to furnish a lease agreement as promised
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2010, 01:43 PM

It also depends on what the deposit was for and whether it was indicated as refundable or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When does my check get cashed? [ 2 Answers ]

My apartment lease in Minnesota was up on February 28th, 2009. My landlord cashed the security deposit check on February 18th, 2009. Can they legally cash it 10 days before my lease was up?

I cashed at check and it bounce [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small business in nyc and I have a coustomer who come to me every day and but lives in longisland. He bought some stuff from me and did have enough money so he gave me his pay check and gave me 10% cut fro cashing. Afer a month now the check bounce. What shoul I do because someone say its...

Tenant cashed security deposit, now wants more money [ 23 Answers ]

Dear experts, Appreciate your help on this mediating a situation with former tenants who cashed the security deposit return check (it was about 1/2 the original deposit) I sent them last week and have now come back asking for a full refund. What protection do I have, or will I eventually be...

Cashed deposit on housewithout accepting offer? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I put in a bid and offer for a home that is in pre-foreclosure. We submitted a 1000 check for a deposit. The check has already cleared the bank however we have not heard from the bank about if the offer was accepted or not. Can they cash our deposit without accepting the offer? Or...

Deposit check never cashed [ 18 Answers ]

My wife and I came very close to renting an apartment, but did not sign the lease after experiencing some hostility and evasiveness from the (first time) landlords. When we handed in our application, one of the landlords asked for a deposit (though no stipulations were made), and she let my wife...

View more questions Search