Can I use any bolt for a head bolt
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2010, 12:30 PM

No. Do not try this.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 12:55 PM

No because some head bolts are torque to yield bolts and some are not, some stretch and others don't.

If they're not then using Long Thread Rolling, Short thread Rolling, Helix or Shaft Bolts etc... are personal prefernce I believe. I am no expert I just heard some things.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 01:00 PM

No.
    jaygaffney Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 06:26 PM
    Comment on kitch428's post
    I found out that I had a broken head bolt and I can't find one at any of my local auto parts store and none of the stock head bolt fit it either so I don't know what to do

Nov 7, 2010, 06:26 PM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    I found out that I had a broken head bolt and I can't find one at any of my local auto parts store and none of the stock head bolt fit it either so I don't know what to do

Nov 7, 2010, 06:29 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    I tried the easy out and did not find a bolt left in so I tried to use a stock head bolt but does not thread and none of my local auto parts store have head bolts for my engine so I don't know what to do
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 06:37 PM

Give your local dealer a call.

Nov 7, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    But if another stock bolt won't thread in just slides in and out how will I stock head bolt work from a dealer
    Networking Expert

Nov 8, 2010, 06:27 AM

Well to me it sounds like there's more wrong than just a bolt that won't fit. If you're local "dealer" not autoparts store, can't find you a bolt they should at least be able to see what your issue is.

What kind of engine are we looking at?

Nov 8, 2010, 12:17 PM
    I don't have a local dealer and it's a honda 1.6 engine I got the old broken one out but I really don't know where to get a bolt and I'm sure I will have to put a heli coil in it to get it to thread

Nov 8, 2010, 12:22 PM
    So I just wanted to try like grade 8 bolt or what every would work with a heli coil
    Networking Expert

Nov 8, 2010, 05:08 PM

You may not have a local dealer you have dealt with before but isn't there a local Honda dealer. They would know what you would need to do? Just give a call to there service center and talk to one of the maintenance guys and they could help you out!

They deal in Honda services so I am sure they've seen this issue before, probably even dealt with it themselves!

Nov 8, 2010, 07:33 PM
    Its about 100 miles away but thanks for the help
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 07:31 AM
    stock bolt won't thread in just slides in and out
    This sounds to me like the threads have pulled out of the engine block and need a heli-coil repair.
    You're likely going to need real hands-on help with this one. Insuring that repair is done properly and securely isn't for the average DIYer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husqvarna 524 ST snowthrower head bolt torque [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My snow thrower started making a knock sound under hard load recently... it is only 2 years old very little use... I think perhaps the head bolts are loose... no visible exhaust leaks... and every time I heard the knock I shut it down... any thoughts and anyone know the torque specs for...

Head bolt torque specs [ 3 Answers ]

Blew head gasket on 18.5 horse briggs ohv does anyone know the proper torque specs head bolts Thanks in advance Rick

Head bolt size 95 altima [ 2 Answers ]

I'm replacing the head gasket on my 95 altima. When I pulled of my valve cover I was supprised to see that they are HEX bolts (damn it! ) I don't have a large set and I'd like to buy just the size I need. So anyone know what size they are? Thanks

Floor joist conflicts with lag bolt head [ 2 Answers ]

I'm building a "mud room" inside our garage. The width is 5' (13' length) and the joists are 2x6 24" o.c. I have ledger on both sides. My issue is that in 2 places I have lag bolts at the edge of the joist, so it gets in the way of the joist and the hanger. Some options seem to be (1)move the...

View more questions Search