Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cinderblocks Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 05:03 PM
    Is my neighbor allowed to rent to someone with 5 dogs?
    I am located in Conencticut and the neighbor I share a driveway with is about to rent her house to someone with 5 dachshunds. Is there any way I can fight this? Her house is only 500 square feet and I have 2 small children living 25 feet away. It's a clear health hazard
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 6, 2010, 06:33 PM

Well, I have to know, how can it be a health hazard if the dogs are not there yet?

Instead of fighting with your neighbor, you might just ask her if she has verified the references given by the potential renter as well as asking the previous landlords if there was any pet damage caused by these dogs.

Also, put your neighbor on notice that you will look to her to remedy any damage these dogs might cause on your property.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2010, 07:01 PM

Please explain to me how 5 dogs constitute a "clear health hazard"? Unless there is any zoning laws in the area that restrict the number of pets, there is no violation here.
    Cinderblocks Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Only her and I share the driveway with an is an ingress egress easement on it I own about 70% of the driveway. Can I use this contest her renting the house out. Her current dog is a nuisance (wakes us with his barking)so I can't imagine how 5 will be. Iconsider it a jealth hazard because the house is so small with so many pets.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2010, 07:26 PM

Sorry but your opinion of the health hazzard has little merit, if the dogs are well cared for and proper sanitation is done.
    I would rather have 5 of those dogs than 2 pit bulls that I have next door.

They I assume have an easement for use of the drive on your property as you do on their part.

I would say you are already planning on being a bad neighbor before the other people have even moved in yet.

If they bark at night and disturb the peace that is when the police are called.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 02:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderblocks View Post
    ... Iconsider it a jealth hazard because the house is so small with so many pets.
    The health of the new neighbor you're concerned with? NYOB. In other words, you lack standing to complain. If it were you own health, that would be a different story.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 02:23 PM

Check with your local zoning department to see just how many pets per household are permitted in your area. Also, check to see if the house is too small to properly accommodate 5 dogs.

Also, is there a fenced in yard where the dogs would be allowed to go pee and poo. If there is no fence then I would definitely complain to the owner of the house that you do not want the feces in your yard and that you would appreciate a fence being erected. This would be the health hazard if the dogs went poo in your yard - not their yard.

If the zoning folks say there are no restrictions on this many animals and no restrictions on such a tiny house and the home owner will not erect a fence then the only recourse you have is to erect your own fence to keep your kids from either stepping in or playing with dog poo.

As for the barking is concerned you may want to try one of those gadgets on TV that stop dogs from barking. Don't know if it works but it's worth a try as I think it's under $20.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In case of rent two rents account are opened. Rent received is credited to what? [ 3 Answers ]

In case of rent ,two account may be opened.rent received is credited to rent receivable account;rent paid to rent account.at the end of the year the profit and loss is debited to rent paid and credited with rent receivable.help me in criticizing the above treatment of rent account.

Been complaining to 311 and landlord about neighbor for months. Can I hold rent to move? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been complaining to the landlord giving 311 notices since Jan. after I was awaken 2 am by stomping and getting cussed at because I complained about excessive stomping, it is being done deliberately and the lady upstairs is crazy... Landlord has spoken to her and to no avail. My lease ends in...

Noisy upstairs neighbor! With a dog, and no dogs allowed! [ 5 Answers ]

My upstairs neighbor is so loud. Hardwood floors, she walks like an elephant and not to mention she has a pitbull running around, barking, and fetching a ball upstairs which bounces along our entire bedroom ceiling. She is only a renting tenant, where as my fiancé owns the place we live in. ...

Neighbor has 15 dogs [ 8 Answers ]

Is there anything that I can do with my neighbor having so many dogs? They have done killed every cat that I have had my kids are afraid to go outside to play and when I confront him about it he just says they don't bother my cats and if they come back in my yard that I can shoot them come on he...

View more questions Search