Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Power Supply making noise
    Okay, recently (I don't know it this has a connection with the past power cut), it seems that the power supply of my CPU is making some really bad noise. However, it only starts a few seconds after having switched on my computer.

What I did up to now was to shut down as soon as possible, wait for some time and switch on again. It would then most of the time boot without the power supply making the horrible noise.

I don't know how to describe well this noise... it's maybe due to the fan. It a little like something was touching the fan and doing some 'motor like' noise. That could also not be it, but I'm just trying to put as much detail as I can. We replaced this power supply sometime in July last year because the other failed and had to be changed (it was getting old). I don't recall the previous one having this problem.

It started for the first time in November but since it occurred once or twice, I didn't bother much about it. Now it's like every time I switch my computer on. I have to shut down and reboot. Pressing the restart button on the CPU doesn't remove the sound.

Any idea of what might be happening? Or someone who had similar problem and has experience with it?

Thanks!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 6, 2010, 02:33 PM

Your initial guess is as good as any. Something may be touching the fan blades.

Disconnect power from the case and open the side. You know the cables are safe to "adjust", so move them around so they aren't near the PSU fan nor the CPU fan, and any other little fan you might have in there. Be thorough.

Leave the case door off and boot the computer. If the noise returns you'll be able to get a much better idea of exactly where the sound is coming from with the door off.

If it's the PSU fan, replace the PSU. They're very inexpensive, but buy a good one.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 08:56 AM

Well, I did open the CPU and I'm almost certain it has something to do with the PSU. What I'm not sure is whether only the fan can make this noise or something else.

And with all the cables inside, I'm afraid I can't plug in the right plugs so that I can start the computer again :o

This probably means I'll have to replace the PSU... dang... I'll need to find sometime I'm not busy. Thank you!

This current PSU has been used for such a little time compared to the previous one :(
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 01:40 PM

Perhaps a warranty claim then?
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 10:25 PM

I'm not sure... I'll ask the person who changed the PSU for us. The thing is, it'll be some time before I can meet him. Anyway thank you again! :)

This happened again today... :(

Grrr..
    aymantn Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 12:50 PM
    http://www.smpstroubleshooting.com/2...eshooting.html
    joecoolvette Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
    Replace with a cheap Power Supply, and you are asking for trouble. A decent Power Supply doesn't have to cost an arm, and a leg, but you need to research the unit, and see what the reviews are.

Low quality Power Supplies have;
    1) Too small a gauge of wiring
    2) Low quality capacitors. (Usually Radial Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors)
    3) Low quality Rectifier Bridge
    4) Low quality power MOSFET's.

You can almost guarantee it is a good Power Supply, just by the weight. Light power supply's are low quality.

A decent, reliable Power Supply cost, averages around $35 to $50.
    (Unless you feel like replacing them a lot)

Also choose a Power Supply with at least 10 percent more power, than is needed. Helps the Power Supply last longer.

Plus ALWAYS keep the inside of the computer, AND the Power Supply, clean.
    (FOLLOW Anti-Static Precautions BEFORE opening the computer, AND during cleaning )

Regards,
    joecoolvette

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power supply issues Apple Power Mac G4 dual 1.25 MDD [ 4 Answers ]

I disconnected the power cord on a G4 MDD dual 1.25 to reset the firewire ports and now the unit will not power on. When I push the power button it flashes on for a sec and then nothing happens. I tried doing a SMU reset and a different power cord to no avail. I have had this unit for about 6-7...

Why is my heat pump noise making a loud noise? [ 4 Answers ]

This morning my heat pump sounded like a lawn mower running. It's coming from the outside and it was loud enough for me to think someone had generator running in my back yard.

My 220 watt mackie power supply kept on blowing fuses were you plug in the power cord [ 2 Answers ]

My 220 watt mackie power supply kept on blowing fuses were you plug in the power cord.

Noise in pipes/heat supply at night [ 1 Answers ]

Maybe I just never heard it until I go to bed. My wife and I just bought a house and in the basement there is a noise that seems to be one from the heat runs, and two from the pipes. Now the noise from the heat runs seems to sound like a hammer tapping in the supply. The noise in the pipes sounds...

98 accord making clunking noise when making hard left turn [ 3 Answers ]

My 98 accord ia making a clunk, clunk, clunk sound when making hard left turns. It only does this with left turns a slow speed like making a u-turn. It actually seems to make the car bounce a little with each clunk. It is definitely not a clicking noise. I have just put a prelude h22 engine with...

View more questions Search