Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    three60 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Low voltage wiring/transformer
    Hello,

I have low voltage wiring run for undercabinet lighting in a newly remodeled kitchen the end of that low voltage wire run is in an unfinished basement. Along with that I have a 120v that line that is powered or will be from a wall switch upstairs in the kitchen and also ends in the unfinished basement.

My question:
    In the basement, can I simply wire a transformer with the 120v from the switch and output to the low voltage wire and connect 5 to 6, 12v low voltage puck lights or any other low voltage units?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Sure as long as when you say "simply wire a transformer", the transformer is mounted properly and the 120 volt wiring and splices or connections are enclosed in a junction box with the proper cover plate.

Jan 4, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by three60
    Hello,

I have low voltage wiring run for undercabinet lighting in a newly remodeled kitchen the end of that low voltage wire run is in an unfinished basement. Along with that I have a 120v that line that is powered or will be from a wall switch upstairs in the kitchen and also ends in the unfinished basement.

My question:
    In the basement, can I simply wire a transformer with the 120v from the switch and output to the low voltage wire and connect 5 to 6, 12v low voltage puck lights or any other low voltage units?
    Thank very much for your reply.

Additional questions:

1. Is the length of low voltage wiring a concern?

2. Are puck lights wired with the LV wire from one to another or "daisy chained"?

3. Would you suggest a specific type/brand of puck light?
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 05:43 PM
    The length can be a concern, but only if there are many light on a long run. Should not be a problem in a typical kitchen. If there is something unusual about yours let me know th total quantity of lights, wattage of each light and the length of wire run.

The lights need to be connected in a parallel circuit, in other words,each light gets both wires connected, and not in series ao the current flows through oe lamp to get to the next.

They are all pretty much the same down deep. Spend as much as you can for the look and best quality.

Jan 4, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Thanks again for the reply.

The run of low voltage wire(14/2, similar to the type used in landscape low voltage lighting) is one length of about 40 feet, starting at the one end of the cabinets with a 3 foot "loop" pulled through the wall about every 3 foot and finally ending in the unfinished basement. As far as the amount of lamps, I plan on 5.

Do I need to cut each of the "loops" to power each fixture and pass power onto the next, with the end of the wire powering the last fixture?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 09:42 PM
    The size wire , the length of run, and the amount of fixtures is fine.

"Do I need to cut each of the "loops" to power each fixture" Only need to cut if the fixture requires it, you can actually strip the wire without cutting to wrap around a screw terminal if you like, sure makes a better connection, however, I think most fixtures use short pigtaills that need to be spliced with a wirenut.

"with the end of the wire powering the last fixture?" Exactly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring from transformer to heat only thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a honeywell hot water heat system(condo) with a control valve for the water, a transformer to supply power to the valve and a thermostat. The power supply was disconnected and I now need to reconnect a new transformer into the system. I have tried to use a 40VA transformer but I am concerned...

91 honda civic Low voltage leak [ 9 Answers ]

My mother inlaw recently started to have a problem with her battery dying. I can jump start the car and then let the car run with out a problem. I took a to the battery and it appeared that the alternator was working fine. The car didn't have a problem starting after that until the third day. The...

Wiring 12 volt transformer [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently installed some 12 volt miniature lights in home. I have them working now but began wondering about how I have the 12 volt transformer wired. The lights are on a switch and I have the transformer in the line before the switch. Thus I have power at the transformer all the time. Is...

Wiring Thermostat-High Voltage to 24v [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of having my 1941 oil boiler replaced with a new gas boiler, and I want to replace my line voltage thermostat with a 24v programmable thermostat. At thermostat now is 110 with 1 black and 1 white. I know I will need a 24v transformer but don't know exactly how to wire this. Can...

Transformer wiring [ 18 Answers ]

I have a Payne furnace that had a Intermatic wall timer connected to it. The timer was causing the furnace to come on at various times and sometimes just the blower (it'll run all night). If I hit the on/off button on the timer, it'll disable it for 24 hours. I attempted to disable the timer...

View more questions Search