Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poorgrandma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Florida Eviction Procedures?
    Is there any rules on evicting a grown child with baby,that is not paying rent. They are not working, not paying bills and will not leave.they have been living here for over a year and gets mail... are they considered tenants and they don't pay rent and do not have a lease. Do you still have to legally give them a eviction notice before changing locks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 5, 2010, 04:32 PM

Yes, they have established residency and have to be evicted according to law. DO NOT change the locks.

Was there ever an agreement to pay rent. Did they ever pay rent at all?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 05:01 PM

What is it about people thinking getting mail somewhere gives them special rights,?

But yes they live there, they are tennants, just non paying, so you may give them notice to start paying rent, or you may give then a legal notice to move, if they do't move, then you have to file for an eviction though the court, The officer would ( if they still are not out) remove them after notice from the court. You can not merely "change the locks"
    poorgrandma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 06:27 PM
    Never paid rent. Promised to pay rent when found a job... just never "found" a job...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 06:30 PM

So they had a specific rent about that was to be paid, or was it to be paid only after they found a job,

Either way, you have to evict, if they were suppose to pay ( lets say 300 a month) and never did, you can evict for non payment and sue for past rent. But my issue and I think the court issue with that, is you let them stay a year without trying to actually collect rent, so I think the court will view that there was never any real or seroius intent to collect rent.

But you can still evict, just give notice and if they don't move, use the housing court to get an eviction

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the procedures of early probation in broward sounty Florida [ 3 Answers ]

What are the procedural steps in obtaining early probation on borwaerd county 1. half the time is served 2. all fines and restitution paid as well as any test s and rwqiuirements all paid and completesd , all results in compliance 3. probation officer is 100% behind me\ 4. applying for...

Las Vegas eviction procedures [ 1 Answers ]

In Las Vegas, NV does anyone know if you receive a 30-day notice, after receiving a 5-day pay or quit? Or, can they have you moved out on the 6th day if you don't pay?

Eviction in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

Two tenants did not pay rent in October. A 3 Day Notice was delivered and an eviction has been filed in the applicable County. The tenants are not responding to any means of attempted communications. They have left a non tagged vehicle in the driveway. They broke out a window (property request...

Informal Tennancy? Eviction Procedures? [ 22 Answers ]

Hi all- urgent help needed here. I have learned a hard life lesson this week- always get a lease signed! I live in Virginia and I rent an "Above Garage Apt." from a family. There was never a lease and it was done month-to-month. I do have a copy of the 'ad' the owner typed up describing the...

View more questions Search